HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

engineering a 4z blah blah blah......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 11:04 pm    Post subject: engineering a 4z blah blah blah...... Reply with quote

Rodeo motor.....2.3....2.6...my mate reckons that if it fits without modding the chassis, that it dont need an engineering cert.does it?, and what for....[this is to prove a point, so help me out guys/girls].
this is the same guy whose got that rx4 289, so im a bit suss on his judgement....
thanks heaps everyone.
rob.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: engineering a 4z blah blah blah...... Reply with quote

You will still need an engineering certificate (in VIC) simply becasue that engine was not a factory option for your model gemini. And becasue it makes more than 10% extra power than your standard engine.

If you use the factory computer or carb induction setup, you wont need an emmissions test which are pricey. You simply have to use all of the emmision equipment from the doner vehichle as it will be of later model than your gem. You also need the obligatory unleaded equipment of cat converter and restriction in the fuel filler neck.

You will probably need a brake test done, but they are relatively simple. If not up to scratch, then bigger rotor/calliper combo will be needed, but I think they will be fine.

As soon as you modify the chassis, you are in big trouble and probably very few engineers will want to touch the car, let alone put their name to it.

Ben Wight
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: engineering a 4z blah blah blah...... Reply with quote

thanks....if i ever did it,ill take that in mind..but i was thinking straight lpg conversion.
if i do that, can i get away without the cat??...i think the epa are funny bout lpg like that.....
cheers.
rob.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: engineering a 4z blah blah blah...... Reply with quote

Rob, you can get around just about every emmision law known by going to gas; no cat, no charcoal canister, etc. But it begs the question, why go to the expense of buying a late EFI motor and computer.

Yonnee.
Pervert
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: engineering a 4z blah blah blah...... Reply with quote

I'm in Melb guys, and i am just putting a G200 into my Gem, i won't have to get an engineering certificate do i? If so, how much do they cost? I know they bolt straight in. So i don't need to do much mod's to it.
cheers,
steve.
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: engineering a 4z blah blah blah...... Reply with quote

no you wont need one, 2l is under the 25% or whatever it is, hence it is such a common conversion
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Actually..... Reply with quote

... here in Vic it's 10%.
Technically, Yes. But if you take the car to Vicroads to get the engine No. changed on the rego, don't tell them you've put in a 2lt. If you keep the car as stock looking as possible, ie; standard carby and air cleaner, you shouldn't have any problems.
Pervert
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Actually..... Reply with quote

But wouldn't they know it's a 2 litre? My friend has put a 2 litre in his VW golf, and they are 1.3 standard, and he didn't have to get engineering certificate. Anyway, i guess the webers i got might not be going on after all, lol. I'm not worried about Vicroads as much, just the damn cops. They wont be able to tell it's a G200 will they? Cuz from what i seen, they are pretty hard to tell apart, unless you read the G200 part under the manifold. Anyway thanx for the help, i'll try and keep it as standard as possible.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: You answered your own question... Reply with quote

..Unless you know to look for the G200 casting in the block, it's almost impossible to tell them apart. And once the car is registered with that engine no. there's not alot anyone can do to you. You don't have to carry an engineers certificate with you everywhere you go so if you get pulled over and the engine's number matches what's on the rego sticker, case closed!
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Actually..... Reply with quote

Hey PERVERT, its not illegal to install a different pair of carbies, as long as you hook up all of the factory emmision gear, there is no difference.

Ben Wight
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: And..... Reply with quote

... with a bit of mucking around you can modify the stock air cleaner assembly to fit the webber.
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: And..... Reply with quote

A bit? More like a lot of mucking about - I've just done it, and it took over 5 hours I think - hammering, welding, shaping, blah, blah...not for the someone who gets bored easily.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: