HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Tachometer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 9:41 pm    Post subject: Tachometer Reply with quote

If the needle on the tacho jumps up and down down it meen the points arnt working propley or does it meen there is another problem like the leads? By the way the single lead for the tacho goes to the coil as normal... I'm just trying to pin point a problem
cool gem
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Reply with quote

Probly just a dicky conection ahy mine dose that
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Reply with quote

na man
coz when it miss fires the needle drops
The needle doesnt drop for no reason...
cool gem
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Reply with quote

how about fixing the missfire!
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Reply with quote

That what I am trying to do! I need to find out if it's the dizzy cap, leads, rotor button, points or coil...
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Reply with quote

i recon the coil try an old one or something to test it. similar thing happend to me.
gene
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Reply with quote

ive got the same problem but its with my spedo what do i do??????????????
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Reply with quote

i seriously think its the points mine did that aswell. if you have a multi meter try the leads for there resistance
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Reply with quote

It has to be the points does it?!?!?!

Because the tacho gets it signel from the points. Any problem after that wouldnt show up on the tacho... ???
Woz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Reply with quote

this is something that i posted for some other dude a while ago...hope it helps Smile

-woz

-----------------------------------------------------------

if your tacho is bouncing down to 0 while this is happening, there must be a problem with the ignition, ie. it cutting out, causing spluttering and the tachos bad readings.

try replacing, one at a time if ya want:
-coil
-balast resistor
-spark leads
-dizzy cap
-dizzy rotor
-spark plugs

also, there could be a slight chance that the wire leading from coil/points could be shorting out on an earth somewhere (even the wire that leads to tacho from this) so check these too.

id place my money on the coil or fractured ignition wire tho Smile
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Reply with quote

Why does everyone think the problem is with the coil??? Is it common for a coil to wear out?
matey_mate
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Reply with quote

do a burnout
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Speedo... Reply with quote

Usually if the speedo cable is about to let go, it will cause the needle to jump around.

Yonnee.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Reply with quote

How old are the electrical bits in your ignition system?
Without knowing how mechanically/electrically minded you are I don't know simply to explain it. The tachometer is only reading what the negative side of the coil is telling it, and the negative side of the coil includes the points. Try the points first, it's the cheapest and easiest, and if they're old enough, probably need doing anyway.

Yonnee.
Getafix
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Reply with quote

Try pulling out the plugs and inspecting those, re-gapping if necessary etc. Mine used to misfire, and i took out the plug on the #3 cyclinder and it was caked in shit, burnt oil i assume. so i took it out, cleaned it, whacked it back in, good as new. however i have to repeat the process every 2 months otherwise it'll miss again, i think it's a crap valve stem seal and i havnt had time to get it fixed yet. Also a Q of my own, sometimes the valves tap under load (i.e. up hills etc) usually when the car is warmed up, any ideas (checked the timing and dwell, new dizzy cap, newish plugs)

-dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: