HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Rotary gemini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RTRGem

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 4:05 pm    Post subject: Rotary gemini Reply with quote

howzit i got a 84 gem wagon and its just gone into the shed last night and it's coming out gunmetal grey and with some cromeys going brap brap brap
but what i was after is a gemini convertion site or some info on what im going to need for a 13b n/t convertion
maybe you know of any websites or can tell me anything ]
cheers nathan
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotary gemini Reply with quote

ring the gemi shop in brisbane he has/is geting/making conversion kits for a 12a but he might know about the 13b
gene
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotary gemini Reply with quote

speak 2 me.... i gotta rota gem
zzz
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotary gemini Reply with quote

are you reg in qld
do you have a 12a or 13b
what do you need for the conversion
WAY2LOW
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotary gemini Reply with quote

nah mate im in sa.
what i can tell u is it isnt a hard conversion, just a bit of fabrication. need to make a custom front crossmember using rx7 engine mounts and bolt it between the chassis rails just above the sway bar mounts. need 2 get a sump made up, not hard. one thing i learnt was to cut off the old engine mounts when there is no engine in the car, so the exhaust can b run where the mount used to b. then u will need to make a custom gearbox crossmember which isnt hard, basically a piece of steel with holes in it. the engine will sit at a bit of an angle but dont worry cause it isnt that severe. using this method no mods have 2 b done to the trans tunnel to fit it in, except for cutting a hole for the shifter.
a custom tailshaft will have 2 b fabricated but thats to b expected.
for the gearbox u will need a slave and master cylinder off a rotor and bolt it to where the clutch cable came out of and fabricate a linkage from the gemi clutch pedle to the rotor master cylinder (sounds tricky but much easier when u have the bits and pieces).
try 2 find an rx3 radiator (easiest fit from memory), and depending on model of gemini mounting of the oil cooler could b fun, i used a cooler from an rx2. on earlier gems (mines a td) u need pleanty of airflow to cool the oil so i had 2 cut a bit of the front of mine out and mount it under the bumper, out the front in the lower airdam thingy. if u have a later model (te onwards) u can put the cooler behind the grille. either way u will need to get oil lines made up ($80 from enzed).
then apart from that its all little shit like fuel lines and accelerator cables etc.

btw. there isnt much difference in mounting the 12a or 13b, just slightly different positions for the front crossmember.
hopefully ill have my page upsoon which details everything in the conversion, including plans and diagrams. im still building my gem so it will be updated everytime i do shit to it.
here r the specs of my car

driveline:
12a large extend port
48mm downdraught webber (hopefully injection soon)
lightened rotors
lightened flywheel
extreme clutch
not sure on gearbox, but 5 speed with close ratio straight cut gears(out of rx3 race car)
locked 3.9 gemi diff ( 2 b replaced with shortened hilux diff with lsd)

exhaust:
custom extractors (2" primaries)
twin 2 inch system till diff with 2 resonators
2 1/2 inch under diff into straight through muffler

exterior:
not yet done, plans include 18inch wheels and respray in standox red/gold mix
front mount oil cooler

interior:
custom red and silver trim
sparco racing seats
autometer tacho and tem gauges (all i got at the moment) in custom dash face
6 point roll cage
momo harnesses

brakes:
front:- dba crossdrilled and slotted discs with piazza turbo calipers
rear:- stock gemi drumbs Razz at the moment, really want discs

cant think of nething else at the moment, but will notify when my page is up and running, hope this helps.
cheers
justin
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotary gemini Reply with quote

UMMM that looks like a workshop item to me dont u think???
heheh
oh AND IN QLD U CAN ONLY HAVE A 12a turbo
gene
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotary gemini Reply with quote

Gene... I thought you can register a non-turbo 13B in Qld??? Please tell me you can, cos that's what I will be doing. Don't burst my bubble!!! Smile hehehe
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 11:02 pm    Post subject: POP!! Reply with quote

heheh just kidding
i only know u can have a 12a turbo dunno about the 13b N/A so u might be ok.
whats the diff between 13b and 12a?? number of rotors or engin size?? dumb question?? hehehe not into rotors much
cheers GENE!
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: POP!! Reply with quote

im sure u can have a 13b as long as it isnt turbo
spud
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: POP!! Reply with quote

they told me down at kcf rally sports a 13b is a ok so long as it is naturaly aspirated. so go for it.
spud
WAY2LOW
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotary gemini Reply with quote

lets see how long b4 i get a defect !
im betting a week :p
ill get it engineered eventually though
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: POP!! Reply with quote

i was told 13B= 2.6Litre 12A=2 litre (thats how they work it out compared to regular engines.)
rotaryman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Rotary gemini Reply with quote

hey i know this will sound real dumb but when u say chop the mounts off the rx7 crossmember??? im lost as
can u email me with like what i need to do in detail!
first time conversion
bow2rotaz@hotmail.com pics would be even better
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: