HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Dump pipes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 1:10 am    Post subject: Dump pipes Reply with quote

Howdy all
Just wondering, do dump pipes produce a deeper tone to a standard tip?? Also, I am wanting to get a 3 inch SS dump tip mandrel bent, do standard mandrel machines fascilitate the bending of 3 inch pipe?? or will i have to take it to a truck exhaust shop?
another Q, would a 3inch dump make much of a sound difference on a stock 2 inch exhaust?
cheers!
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Dump pipes Reply with quote

the tip does a little bit, bcoz it angles the sound towards the ground, but the mufflers more effect the sound. How it sounds now is more or less how it will sound with a dumper, dont get your hopes up
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Dump pipes Reply with quote

Cheers for the reply Pete.
So its the muffler which dicates sound....I am looking for a deeper hum than i have now, what should i be looking for in a muffler to achieve this? You say a dump wouldnt make much difference, what if i ran a slightly extended tip(3 inch) which then went into a dump. Say a metre which would cut out that small resonator, how would that sound? I dont want that shitty rice box sound when you back it off...
cheers again
SikGem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Dump pipes Reply with quote

I have 2 1/2" pipework, resinator has been bined, one Dynomax muffler (not quite straight through inside though, it has a slight bend) and a straight 1 foot long 3 1/2" chrome tip. It sounds very deep and doesn't have too much of a "farty" noise. But any Gemini will make some kind of noise while changing gears when you get under it or back off... that's just something I don't think you can avoid.
tommop
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Dump pipes Reply with quote

Last edited by tommop on Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:23 am; edited 1 time in total
SikGem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dump pipes Reply with quote

I have a worked 1800 with extractors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: