HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Sandpiper II
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foxfire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Back to her question.... Reply with quote

Hi Racegem, and hi again Pete...

Thanks for the tip about the workshops... At this stage it's not even likely to be a reality. Ideally I'd love to have a second car that I use day to day while I work on the Gem. I'd love to work on her myself, but I just don't have the time right now either. Sad

I'm not looking to enter her into shows, I'm just very attached to my car and would like to restore her. Truth is I don't know a lot (never done this before), so would most likely take a car-boy with me. I'd also need to see if and where I can get her original paint colours made up before I start sanding anything... Smile

As for the wheels, they're standard factory - don't see them on Gems very often but see them a lot on early 80s Commodores. I have submitted some photos to the stock gallery, hopefully they'll be online soon.

Thanks again for your advice, guys. Smile
SikGem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Call!! Reply with quote

Hi Tracey!! I'm a chick too, and if you're not quite sure what your talking about then you are better off taking a guy with you, cos then mechanics/panelbeaters will take you seriously (well, your male friend anyway). But I love going into places like that (with a bit of knowledge)and watching their jaw drop when I tell them what "I" want and how "I" want it done. Puts them in their place pretty quickly!! Smile
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Tracey... Reply with quote

OK. What you've got are factory TD SL/E, 13 inch rims. They were also put on the TE Gypsy van and the TG ZZ/Z. (The Commodore ones are series one SL/E rims, 5 stud, 15 inch)
Under the bonnet should be a couple of silver plates, sometimes painted, that have a heap of numbers on them. One plate will have "ENGINE", "TRANS", "AXLE", etc. This plate will also have "PAINT". Record that number/s, that's your paint code to get it matched. If you have difficulty, send me the numbers, I'll try to find them at work.

Once the paint codes have been matched, you can have them mixed into aerosol cans so that you can do bodywork a bit at a time, and touch up your work.

Yonnee.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Not just the ladies... Reply with quote

Yeah Amy, nothing like a bit of knowledge to put a 'smartarsed' bloke in his place! LOL

And it's not just the females that get stuffed around if you show that you don't know what you're talking about. But if you take your time, and speak to the right people, you should be OK. I had a young lady in at work who was doing a bar for her dad, which consisted of bonnet, guards, lights and grille off her dads favourite model of car. She told me she did'nt have a clue what she was doing, so I gave her some literature I had, and a brief rundown on some of the bodywork products we sell and how to use them. She gave it a go, and kept coming for more advice, and when she finished, you couldn't wipe the smile off the old mans face.

Yonnee.
PinkBitz
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: PETE Reply with quote

which car is yours
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: PETE Reply with quote

http://www.hotgemini.com/cgi-bin/gallery2.cgi?action=sv&vid=205
foxfire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Tracey... Reply with quote

Here's the photo:
http://www.hotgemini.com/cgi-bin/gallery2.cgi?action=sv&vid=265

Thanks for the info - I will get all the numbers recorded this week, and let you know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: