HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Sandpiper II
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foxfire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 7:41 pm    Post subject: Sandpiper II Reply with quote

hi there...

i have a 1981 gemini te sandpiper II... sadly it is rusting itself to death, and has some damage to the front left... has anyone ever done up a gemini that is filled with rust? approximately how much money would i be needing to spend to get started? if money was no object i'd love the whole thing reworked, inside and out as well as under the bonnet. i guess i'm just looking for a starting ballpark figure... any info would be appreciated.

cheers!
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandpiper II Reply with quote

How long is a piece of string? How much do you want to do yourself? Do you want a bare metal restore? Will you strip, cut, weld rust repair yourself? I can give you an estimate for handing over a stripped shell and getting back the complete car - but you're not going to like it! (I've been there and done that - http://www.hotgemini.com/cgi-bin/gallery2.cgi?action=sv&vid=206) Unless you're overly attached to yours (as I was to mine)maybe get yourself something else, or get a shell and benefit from someone elses unfinished project. Even consider buying a completely restored car - people usually have to take a huge loss. If you're still keen (rich/brave/foolhardy)I'll tell you how much mine cost.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandpiper II Reply with quote

how much did u spend?? quite a clean gemini!!
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandpiper II Reply with quote

a fucken lot is about all I'll say ;o)
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandpiper II Reply with quote

i will tel u if u tell me! hehehehe
i will say mine was just over 12G's (including a $3000 sterio)
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandpiper II Reply with quote

hmmm, By the time I finish the carby conversion (and that's it - no more!)I wil have loose change from 30K. That's why I'd council against doing up a shit box unless you plan to do a lot yourself.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandpiper II Reply with quote

WOW!!!! did u do any yourself or have it done profesionally!!?? man thats alot of cash! looks good tho!
gene
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandpiper II Reply with quote

I stripped it and did a lot of the out of sight rust repairs, but yeah like the speil says, I just didn't have the time or skill for the job I wanted. I did however have the cash Surprised)
Its not a lot when you consider its the only car I ever owned from until 2000 (when Elka and I bought a VT) and only cost me consumables and rego/insur. After 24 years of ownership, I owed it to the old girl, she's very special.
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:57 pm    Post subject: Back to his question.... Reply with quote

engine with three year waranty, minimal work 3000
respray (pro) 3000 all rust is repairable, new guards are CHEAP! (hence our love for GEM's)
interior-do it yourself! 1000 (seats will cost $)
wheels? your choice but theres a set of simmons F90's in the for sale section for 900, so there pretty nice.
so lets say 8000.
OR
do the engine and spray job yourself and youd be out for 3 or 4G, with a fukn NICE car. : )

http://www.hotgemini.com/cgi-bin/gallery2.cgi?action=sv&vid=205

asside from buying it, (stock) ive probabally spent 4000.
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandpiper II Reply with quote

id take your baby over a VT, lets face it what does the VT have that the gem does not? there both now reliable, good looking etc etc.
foxfire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to his question.... Reply with quote

excellent... thanks for the info, a mega-ballpark figure was all i was after... so for $8000 or so my car could be beautiful again! Smile

i want to keep it as close to original sandpiper II as i can, it's kind of sentimental to me. inside is pretty good condition, aside from missing stereo (loser junkie scum thieves Smile and the parcel shelf being a bit worse for wear.

outside is just rust and slight damage, and the engine is still live and kicking so i could do that last. at this stage the engine is going to live longer than the body. sandpiper II came with alloys(?) so i'd prefer to get them shined up a bit.

thanks again for the info, Pete - much appreciated!
i'd better start saving... Smile

cheers!
foxfire (not a "him") Smile
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 5:46 pm    Post subject: PETE Reply with quote

Yo pete what type of seats are in your car and how much did they cost ya. Did u do all your interia yourself??
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Back to her question.... Reply with quote

Firstly, Welcome aboard Tracey.
Are you after a neat, presentable car or a "show" quality finish. For the former, $8000 will be more than plenty. How much are you prepared to do yourself? Not wanting to sound sexist, but if you farm any work out to "professional" shops, get a few quotes and talk to as many people as possible before you commit. Alot of places try to take advantage of the fact that they think you don't know alot. I've heard too many sob stories about people being stung.
What sort of mags do you have?

Yonnee.
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 2:00 am    Post subject: Good Call!! Reply with quote

yeah wise word Racegem. it is sexist, but its also the truith! take your B/f or mate along coz they WILL try and fuk u around coz ure a girl
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: PETE Reply with quote

There 92 pulsar, retrimmed. but aside from that the intereior is all thanks to my girlfriend, an absolute wiz with the sewing machine! : )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: