HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Exhaust

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuff187
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 12:59 am    Post subject: Exhaust Reply with quote

i have a 2.5inch exhaust on my TX coupe with extractors and a 2.5 inch muffler and a rear resonator to a 3.5 dump tip but it still has the shitty gemini back off noise and when ya change gears... i was thinking of fitting a universal chrome muffler with tip (autobarn). Would this make it sound any different (quieter/louder) and get rid of da shitty noise Smile or make a deeper note??

Cheers
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Reply with quote

quieter. i assume you get rid of the hotdog? (resinator) then from what i have heard they make that shitty noise i think your referring to and then will definately sound better. but id go to an exhaust place over autobarn. dont use midas etc either, go non franchise so you speak to a guy who actually knows his shit and he will be able to give you straight answers. If your in sydney ring cobra exhausts in penrith.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Reply with quote

Chrome or Stainless? The ones I stock at the autObarn where I work are polished Stainless. If you swap it for the resonator it may change the note slightly, but not much. And it probably won't get rid of that "raspy bark" on decellaration. It may help to then put the resonator where the exhaust goes under the passengers front seat to reduce that "bark". Personally, I think your 2.5" is a bit big for any Gemini motor other than a turbo. Do you find it gets a bit "breathless" at high revs?

Yonnee
NUT161
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Reply with quote

i got 4-1 extractors to a 2 inch pipe with a straight through muffler and it sounds mad, maybe your exhaust is to big?
NUT161
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Reply with quote

i got 4-1 extractors to a 2 inch pipe with a straight through muffler and it sounds mad, maybe your exhaust is to big?
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Reply with quote

i think the problem is a bit of over-enthusiasm.
if your gem is stock,or close to stock, 2" is the biggest you should go. press bent is ok, caust a na engine needs back-pressure to stop valve-bounce.
go and get rid of the 2.5", ignore autobahn, and get a single, straight through[double offset] muffler, on a 2"pipe. put whatever tip you want on it.
said system growls on acceleration, crackels like a super tourer on decelleration, and is musical at 60kph in 4th.loud, but not deafining.
tis what i done.
rob.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: IGNORE AUTOBARN!!!!?? Reply with quote

You're a newbie, so I'll forgive you, this time... lol

Yonnee.
(dedicated, and sometimes fanatical, autObarn employee) Surprised)
tuff187
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Reply with quote

It's pretty much a standard motor but i have a far from standard motor to drop in it sitting in my garage waiting to be put in... so i dont want to put a smaller system on it i just want to make it sound better and look better so i was thinking of the stainless muffler from autobarn.
tuff187
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Reply with quote

I forgot to add the links of what kinda style stainless muffler i want (but from autobarn)

http://www.overboost.com/obs/product.asp?pid=967&cat_id=2&cat_name=Exhaust%20Systems&sc_id=8&sc_name=Mufflers

http://www.livesockets.com/shop/shop_showbook.php?id=hay101002&client=sdstreetracing
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Reply with quote

Thanks for the support Luke. I hope the guys down there help you out.
If you don't want to down-size, you're going to have to add in another muffler to quieten her down.
Maybe contemplate this. A 2" hot-dog/resonator put in around the the passengers front seat may give you the less "bark" you want while it also might add a little back pressure that might even gain you some top end without downsizing the whole system. Just a thought...

Yonnee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: