HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Straight answers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birko
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 8:44 pm    Post subject: Straight answers Reply with quote

gday, Well i might be shot for asking these questions but i have no where else to look for info. I am considering a G180 dohc conversion (Or G200 dohc if easier but pref. G180). I have search all the previous forums and it has me more confused. Some say this conversions is a straight bolt in others dont, some say the manifold doesnt clear the brake booster others dont. Some also say the G180 has different mounts to the G200. Also i have read that the heater assembaly needs moving back.
Can anybody clarify these issues, has anybody done this conversion that i can get in contact with (pref. in WA). Do the engines have diff mounts for different years??

I am very confused??????
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Straight answers Reply with quote

i have a TG gemini 83 modle i have had a tg 1600 in it a te 1600 init, a td 1800 in it and a td 2 leter in it. no problems with anything straight bolt in.
i have had a tg 5 speed tf 5 speed tc 5speed and a tx 5 speed no troubles ther (except u may need to change the tail shaft as there a different slines for different gearboxes)
iv had the tg diff and a td diff and ther was no troubles changing.
these were all bolt straight in no mods. so i dont know where hese people get there info from?? a gemini is a gemini the all fit eachother!
gene
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Straight answers Reply with quote

Sorry, but i have been misunderstood the motor im refering to is the G180/ G200 DOHC EFI import motors
DOHC
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Straight answers Reply with quote

Ha! I don't think there are any straigh answers when it comes to this conversion but I can tell you the basics of what I've found with my conversion. (I've put a G200W into a TG)

Firstly, it is a straight bolt in swap provided you a) get a diesel crossmember b) find a later model engine so that the inlet manifold clears the brake cylinder (and even then it is a pretty tight fit)
You'll need to take the fan off the front of this engine and fit a thermal one (like you'd keep the standard fan anyway Wink You can use the same radiator etc.....

I can't help you with the mounting of a G180W but I believe that they are the same (same block so why not Wink

You can keep the same diff, and tail shaft but make sure you buy a 5spd with the engine cause I don't think you'll find one separate later on. The standard 5spd internals can be squeezed into the DOHC bell housing, you just need the bell housing to start with!

The rest of the wiring is fairly straight forward, no major differences to any other EFI conversion. You'll need the usual EFI bits, high pressure fuel pump, high flow fuel filter....

I won't go into too much more detail, but if you need to know specifics just mail me: ross.smith@eds.com

Cheers,
Ross.
Birko
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Straight answers Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Ill be in contact if i need any help
Woz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Straight answers Reply with quote

gimmie a yell if you (or anyone else for that matter) needs to purchase a diesel crossmember. i can get my hands on 2 of these Smile

-Woz
zzz
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject: diesel crossmember Reply with quote

i need one how much do you want where r u
Woz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: diesel crossmember Reply with quote

melbourne....not sure how much yet....still interested?
zzz
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: diesel crossmember Reply with quote

yes can you email me the details when you get them
nikko116@hotmail.com
cheers nik
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: