HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

EFI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arnaout
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 9:04 pm    Post subject: EFI Reply with quote

just curious to how much it would set me back aproximately to make my tg EFI because i am wanting to turbo my 1600 (with turbo friendly internal work) and am tossing up between a Carby blow through system or EFI turbo system. also what benefits would i have if i converted it to EFI? im on a budget aswell so all help would be greatly apreciateddd...
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: EFI Reply with quote

Benefits?
-Greater tunability
-Better efficiency
-Better drivablity
Drawbacks?
-Cost

You'll need to splurge out and buy an EMS (and dyno tuning) so if your on a budget, it might be better to go carby.
arnaout
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: EFI Reply with quote

i can get a mt8 for cheap and was wondering bout all the other things that would be needed to make it EFI
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: EFI Reply with quote

Get Piazza manifolds, they fit right on.
Also need high pressure fuel pump, return line, map sensor, can't remember anything else right now.
arnaout
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: EFI Reply with quote

and how much would that set me bak
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: EFI Reply with quote

I bought an MTX8 for 750 with four coils, and then got an air temp sensor and handset for another 200. Bought a 4ZE1 inlet manifold, injectors, fuel rail, regulator, throttlebody, with a bit of the loom, water temp and TPS sensor for less than $300. Bought a 4ZE1 acc cable and modified it to screw into the firewall, cost $25. My computer runs sequential injection and direct fire, so I needed a special ingnition trigger, which is now supplied by an efi magna dizzy with a grafted gemini shaft. Cost about $150

You can get away with a SH camira or commodore pump, around $50, you need a swirl tank, and probably to modify the stock pump to pump a bit more. I use two stockies in the tank, running on 12 volts with tighter springs in the over pressure doodads. They pump about 6 litres/minute when combined.

All up, cost me around $1900 just for injection. I also bought a new VL turbo fuel pump whihch was $225. If you are only getting an MT8, then you will need ignitor(s) as well.

Makes about the same power as my blowthrough 38 DGMS weber, but the programmable ignition allows it more off boost grunt, slightly quicker spoolup, and the good flowing manifold and throttle body probably give it a little more top end, its just noticable. If I was only drag racing though, I would have stuck with the blow through setup and spent a couple of grand on a bigger GT turbo.

Ben Wight
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: