HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Turbo Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DOHC
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 12:51 pm    Post subject: Turbo Help Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I'm not going to start the draw through turbo system VS blow through system on a carby engine, so don't worry
What I do want to ask is which would be a better option on my 2L DOHC (EFi).
I've currently got in my possession a FJ20 T3 that is supposedly hi flowed and running only oul cooling. I also have a VG30 turb (which is straight of the engine no mods) but does run with water cooling as well.
The only advice I have so far is that the FJ20 turb looks in "OK" condition but would be good cause it would spool up really quickly...

Any thought on the VG30 in comparison?

Cheers,
R.
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Help Reply with quote

Is it the turbo from the single turbo VG or twin turbo? If it's the twin then I would think that the VG30 turbo would spool up quicker, as the FJ20 t3 is a laggy thing in original fitment, so if its been hi-flowed then it will be slightly laggier again. Should have better "on-boost" performance though.
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: oi DOHC Reply with quote

Are you considering a turbo conversion??
I take it you have the stock ECGI manifold on there?

Are you going to use the stock manifold and do the plumbing or get a turbo manifold (will piazza's fit??)

Been looking into it too, but no one knows shit about these motors!
DOHC
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re:Yeah Martin. Reply with quote

I Certainly am putting a turb on the G200W engine. I do have the ECGI manifold (nice and Chromed Wink plus the old one which has something different written on it?

I've already got an FJ20 turb (T3), VL turbo injectors (also a set of Magna 2.6 injectors which may flow better but I can't find any info on them!), a 2" dump pipe, Supra intercooler (I think), and the inlet plumbing already to put on.... Just need the money and time!

I am in the process of getting a custom manifold built plus a 3" dump pipe, and yeah, nobody has any idea at all about the G180W or G200W. I've found that if you keep looking around you find people who have done FJ20 conversions in to Gems but that's it! They seem to know the most but it's still an expensive process ($800 for the exhaust manifold and dump pipe! Heat treated, but still...)

If anyone has put a turb onto a DOHC, or know's anyone who has a little help here would be great Smile

Cheers,
Ross.
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re:Yeah Martin. Reply with quote

Geeze, it's not THAT much different to turboing any other engine.
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 3:03 am    Post subject: Re:Yeah Martin. Reply with quote

true but workshops have done 200 dattos and 200 sohc geminis... and all the tehnical info is there for them

there is shit all info on these dohc motors... all i have is all trasnlated japanese shit from some poor bastards to hold on to their ZZ/Rs and ZZ/Ts cause they can't afford skylines!
DOHC
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 11:35 am    Post subject: Re:Yeah Martin. Reply with quote

Exactly, and trying to find internal parts? Nobody has a clue on rebuilding to suit a turb. I can't find cams for the life of me, and custom stuff is just always so expensive.
Even trying to fit a turb next to the DOHC engine and get it under the bonnet is a challenge... Have you seen where the thermostat is on these things?

R.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Help Reply with quote

The turbos will be of similar spec, but the VG30 unit will have a ceramic turbine. At a guess, I would say the FJ unit will flow a bit more and spool up a bit later, plus the VG30 has a bit less inertia (ceramic) which contrbutes to faster spoolup, but the FJ will make more power, and is not boost limited in the sense that the VG one is.

Ben Wight
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re:Yeah Martin. Reply with quote

No but i did notice the size of that engine and that air conditioning and that small engine bay...

so yeah, ive given it some thort and given up on the turbo road

im just gonna paint the car instead Smile turbo a sohc or something one day, it'll be cheaper
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: