HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

DESCENT BRAKES ANYONE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEMGEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 3:00 am    Post subject: DESCENT BRAKES ANYONE Reply with quote

Has any body come up with an affordable and succesfull brake conversion thats
-not Piazza $$$ (if u can find them anywhere),
-not from CAstlemaine rod Shop where u have 5stud front 4 rear ????
A conversion that us guys can do that dislike paying the pros?
I saw a BMW brake set up rescently the disc sits over before the wheel is bolted on and caliper was elongated to fit, the caliper and pads did look a little better, but the exta thickness of the disc spaces the wheels out 5-8mm the owner finds them better than the piazza floating caliper. Has anyone done the volvo 4spot conversion or something along those lines?
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: DESCENT BRAKES ANYONE Reply with quote

I am interested in this too, and it would be nice if someone wrote a workshop up. I would like front and rear upgrade, why? Because I don't like the rear drums Smile

If I can move up to 5 stud Holden pattern, bonus. Is this what happens with the Volvo disc setups? I would prefer the greater choice of wheels in 5 stud configuration, as long as the offset is close enough.
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: DESCENT BRAKES ANYONE Reply with quote

If I had any money to purchase the disks for a test fit, I might be able to offer some assistance...
IDAREU2
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: DESCENT BRAKES ANYONE Reply with quote

The ones from CRS you know you can redrill to suit any stud pattern you want you dont have to stay with the ford 5 stud and the kit is only 250$ + post how much cheaper do you want
ring some engineers and do your homework

cheers
smee
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: DESCENT BRAKES ANYONE Reply with quote

Early Honda Accord brakes fit with very little engineering from what I have heard, and they are vented fronts and fit under 13 inch rims to boot. Why let rego know....
I have long contemplated this conversion, and now I have a play car (so to speak) to look at doing it on I look forward to getting some bits and trying it out...
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: DESCENT BRAKES ANYONE Reply with quote

where can i contact CRS??? where are they from??? why type of calapers thay use?
cheers gene
dr_BOOM13@hotmail.com
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: DESCENT BRAKES ANYONE Reply with quote

FJ2047 has done a 4 spot volvo conversion talk to hiim
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: DESCENT BRAKES ANYONE Reply with quote

The only disc kit available for a Gemini that we make is a Ford 5 stud unit
from XW-XY-XA and using HQ-WB Holden. Cost of kit $250.00. You supply the
rest. It is quite a poplar swap and they stop O.K.

Regards,
Rod. Hadfield.

That is the reply to the email I sent asking for info.
www.rodshop.com.au
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: DESCENT BRAKES ANYONE Reply with quote

I was going to ask why you hadn't mentioned that you were rod hatfield before loz...
Nick
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: DESCENT BRAKES ANYONE Reply with quote

I recently did a piazza front brake upgrade for under $400 that included discs and calipers, machining discs and new pads. Stops much better but found a bit of fade when pushed really hard but i think it might be down to the Bendix "Standard" pads. i might go to metal king next time and pay the bit extra. i will write a workshop item up on this conversion soon.
FJ2047
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 10:03 pm    Post subject: VOLVO BRAKES Reply with quote

give me a week to draw up something for the workshop and i will show you what i did. It cost me all up $450 for my setup. And it does work as my pics show.

http://communities.ninemsn.com.au/twenty7777/fj2047.msnw
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: DESCENT BRAKES ANYONE Reply with quote

Just out of interest, does the pedal go soggy, drop lower or remain hard but fail to slow the car... or a combination of the above?
Nick
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: DESCENT BRAKES ANYONE Reply with quote

when i tested the brakes hard. (stopping at a set of traffic lights from 100km/h very fast). the pedal dropped a bit and the braking wasnt as good. i think some of it is down to the fact that one of the pieces of custom brake line was leaking and i have a fair bit of air in it. i have to fix it up and bleed the brakes proper. then ill see
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: DESCENT BRAKES ANYONE Reply with quote

Go and give them a right proper thrashing and let me know if they boil (soft pedal which drops to the floor) or fade (hard pedal which doesn't slow the car down).
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: VOLVO BRAKES Reply with quote

The brake pics wouldnt load for me so do you want to send them to me?
loza@hotmail.com

cheers
loz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: