HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

need some info
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2picky
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:00 pm    Post subject: need some info Reply with quote

Undecided which way to go for an engine conversion SR20t or a 2.6 rodeo and need to find out what requirements are to get RWC in Qld
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: need some info Reply with quote

Do you mean a modification plate or a safety certificate?
2picky
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: need some info Reply with quote

mod plate
zzz
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: need some info Reply with quote

i have asked qld transport about this and they said that
i cant have the rodeo but the sr 20 is legal
2picky
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: need some info Reply with quote

do u know what other mods have b done to make it legal? eg brakes
engineer
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: need some info Reply with quote

Here's a bit on the QLD Transport requirements. The way to work out the size engine you can put in you car is like this for a vehicle weighing under 1100 kg and having 4 cylinder engine.

Turbo or supercharged:
Max capacity (cc)= original weight (kg) x 2.5

Naturally aspirated
Max capacity (cc) = original weight (kg) x 3.0

So if you work of the weight specified by QT of 873kg for a 1975 4 door (I don't know what your car is??) this will give you a max capacity of 2619 cc without a turbo or 21823 cc with a turbo.

This is know as plating under 'option 3' of the LA1 code. You will also have to do a few other things like fit a 10 bolt diff (TD and later) including brakes and master cylinder. There are some other requirements but most Gemini's already have them covered.

I know someone who has done a SR20T conversion before. I can put you in contact with them if you want. The said it cost about $10,000 by the end - custom sump, modified inlet, wiring.

I think a turbo G200 is the way to go but I'm bias because I'm selling one.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: need some info Reply with quote

if u turbo the rodeo engin u will blow alot of gearboxes. some fell has a turbo one and said he goes through 10 gearboxs a year
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: need some info Reply with quote

whats the guys e-mail addresss who has put a sr20 in. i am about to start the same conversion and dont want to spend that much. iv worked it wout to be WAY less than that!
could i have his e-mail to ask him a few Q's?
cheers GENE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: need some info Reply with quote

what happend to your 4ze1 turbo?
GeminiKing
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: need some info Reply with quote

Thats right. You can go up to a max of about 2.2L for a Gemini. Doesnt seem to matter whether its arse kicking turbo tho, they just work on capacity,...stupid really.
GeminiKing
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: need some info Reply with quote

Actually, I forgot to add that info is about 3 years old now...the engineer has more up to date info in his post, but I thought the real dry weight of a Gemini was around 920 kg, so wouldnt that allow you claim more power than using 875 kg?
GeminiKing
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: need some info Reply with quote

Id be careful when doing this. I wanted to do it once, but the intake manifold was too large I decided. Then I saw one that had been done, but it was too close to the engine bay in places, a really poor hydraulic clutch conversion, the thing was really uncomfortable to drive, but he had a mod plate on it! Bodgy. Just do your research carefully with an SR20. The CA18 is compact, and will fit in though. Its has less power though
Momo
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: need some info Reply with quote

Hey Gene - I haven't converted mine yet (SR20DET) but I was talking to you about it a little while back....what's the way less cheaper option that you have figured out? I'm interested to know anyway??

Cheers
Dave
Momo
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: need some info Reply with quote

Hey GeminiKing?? - not dissin ya' but what's your background and how do u know so much shit about Gemini's?? When you finished that question tell me more about the CA18....conversion problems etc...sump? ...clutch/gearbox...fit etc....
GeminiKing
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: need some info Reply with quote

Why do you have to fit the 10 bolt? DO you mean the Salisbury diff? dont see what difference that would make.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: