HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Hairdryer or 4 Trumpets?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 3:03 am    Post subject: Hairdryer or 4 Trumpets? Reply with quote

ive been reading past posts and found one by a dude named mark, which states that he has a g180 engine that is able to gain 134hp at the rear wheels, with 9.0:1 comp.

what i realy want to know is, is this realy that fast? im kinda wanting to lead down the road of quad throttles for something different rather than the turbo option, im sure 134hp at the back end should be plenty to play with on the road.

so what are the opinions of other gem drivers? should 140 ass-ended n/a horses be enough for my baby or should i just go out and purchase an oversized hairdryer?

any comments would be appreciated;

-woz
Slug
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Hairdryer or 4 Trumpets? Reply with quote

Woz I think you might be suprised what a "real" 140 at the wheels will do in a 900 Kg gemini, there wont be much that will get a look in. But having said that I do like the torque increase provided by a well done turbo intallation, although most that I have seen have been a bit second rate, and I have a soft spot for the sound of quad throttle bodies at full song. So its up to you Smile ... Michael
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Hairdryer or 4 Trumpets? Reply with quote

I think I'm not alone in saying that there is something nice about big N/A horsepower... the best example of this in a gemini would have to be Michael Bahdadis coupe that kept whooping backside at the nats, 170.3hp at the wheels... oh yeah.

But again, for the money of a 170.3rwhp gemini motor, you could probably be well on your way with a CA18DET transplant.
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hairdryer or 4 Trumpets? Reply with quote

A CA18DET isn't keeping in with The General though is it? Wink
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hairdryer or 4 Trumpets? Reply with quote

But what if you want to be a rogue mercenary, and take down the General? ;o)
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hairdryer or 4 Trumpets? Reply with quote

Mutiny I say! We have a traitor in our midst, throw him in the Brig!

No, I am all for putting any HP engine in any body as long as you're not putting Ford into Holden and vice versa.

I attended a sprint in Bendigo on the weekend, motorkhana and the like, in which there was a Nissan Bluebird (80s model) with a Toyota 24v EFI inline 6! That thing could motor along nicely, and the Toyota 6 looked like it was meant to be in there, only problem was, the dickhead blew it up later in the day... Sad

Cheers Smile
Mark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Hairdryer or 4 Trumpets? Reply with quote

Ive had several types of cars with that area of horsepower. 1.My coupe has 134hp at the wheels. (cam has over 500thou lift and only has 9.0 comp, 600 dp holley) it goes pretty well.
2.A friends sedan i built has 139hp at the wheels with more compression but less head work and a smaller cam. It has less torque so although it has more power it is nowhere near as quick. (cam has 424thou lift with comp ratio of 11.2:1, 350 holley)
3. Another mates twin cam has 157hp at the wheels. (cam lift is 430 thou with comp ratio of 12.75:1, twin 44mm d/d webbers)It goes faster than both.
4. my old turbo panel van had 155hp at the wheels on 18psi boost on a standard 1800. (45mm solex suck thru, standard cam and motor compression) Not as quick as the twin cam for the same power on acceleration but higher top end due to the turbo.
5. My old nitrous coupe had 132hp at the wheels on the nos. ( mild 2litre with twin 40mm s/d webbers, direct port nos 50hp kit) and this car was the quickest of the lot. Least horsepower, but the nos makes the most torque and on top of that increases acceleration speed ( ie from 2500 to 6000) so much quicker that although the motor made least power it was the quickest.

Conclusion, wait and see what happens cos youll never know til you try hey......
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hairdryer or 4 Trumpets? Reply with quote

I think that the money he spent on his 2.6, you would be well on the way to about 3 CA18DET transplants. Or maybe a 9 second turbo engine instead of a 12 second NA engine.
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hairdryer or 4 Trumpets? Reply with quote

I *was* trying to be nice... I suppose it is whatever tickles his fancy...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: