HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

head gasket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 9:58 pm    Post subject: head gasket Reply with quote

I recently bought a TE, it is mint except for an apparently blown head gasket(so the owner says). I intend on replacing the head gasket etc sometime this week. I have heard it is necessary to get it shaved because gem heads can be susceptible to warping after being driven with a blown gasket......can someone shed some light on this for me please....
cheers
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: head gasket Reply with quote

Get yerself a 12mm ring/openender spanner, a 10mm socket, a flathead screwdriver, a 17mm socket, some string[ for the timing chain...tie it to the crownwheel that bolts to the cam]and a 10mm hex torque wrench socket.rip the manifolds and pipng off it...carefully or youll lose skin...i know...lol...then carefully remove the head.[unbolt the rocker cover, tie the timing chain, unbolt the sprocket, de/tension the timing chain...push the little plasticy thingy down then twist..and then unbolt the head. refer to a gregorys or other workshop manual. now youve done that, remove the timing and cam gear, and check the condition of the head surface with a straight edge. if it is warped by no more than [i think].0015-.0095mm or someting like that, just swap the head gasket and put it all back together. if it didn't overheat with a fucked gasket, it wont need shaving.put it all back together, and drive it. ive done that so many times...
hope it helps
rob.
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: head gasket Reply with quote

cheers for that Rob.....i might drain the oil out before i bolt it back on and driev it though, in case of water contamination
cheers
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: softly-softly... Reply with quote

Be careful with the "plastic thingy" (also known as; "timing chain tensioner"; "that white thing with the slot"; and "*snap* YOU F**KING SON OF A BITCH"). It doesn't take too kindly to a heavy hand. Surprised)

Yonnee.
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: head gasket Reply with quote

der...it goes without saying that you do the oil and shit...lol....just forgot to add it!
have a good easter.
rob.
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: softly-softly... Reply with quote

Do I detect the bitter angry tutor that is experience?
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Touch wood..... Reply with quote

...Haven't yet, but plenty of stories from those that have... lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: