HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

lop sided

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westy
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 2:02 am    Post subject: lop sided Reply with quote

Hey i get rather annoyes looking at my lovely gema because its lop sided on the front left hand corner why is this and how can i fix it? i think the previous owner lowered it himself and now its all BLEH! what can i do to even it out
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: lop sided Reply with quote

I'll have a guess and say that the spring has collapsed. Get a new pair of front springs.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: lop sided Reply with quote

Check to see if the coils have been cut, the most common cause of odd height (cause they're so much of a pain to keep pulling apart)!
Two options.
1) pull the high side front spring out and take a bit more coil off, 20mm at a time till it sits level. (cheap, sorry Adam)

2) (better option) Order a set of front springs. Somewhere between $100 - $160 a pair, depending on brand.

Yonnee.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: on a lighter note.... Reply with quote

....you could rename your car Eileen.... lol
Westy
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: idiot! :P Reply with quote

what would be the best brand sprind to buy?
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: sorry Mark, it's late... Reply with quote

How long is a peice of string? Pedders, Kings, Lovells, K-mac, Aroura, and Adam's, among others. Everyone will have their own opinion. Mine is that companies that produce shocks as well as springs, usually design them to work together. For instance, a variable rate spring won't work as well as it was intended when mated to super hard shocks. Alot of post threads I've seen, guys have got King springs. One experience I've had with them though, customer complained his springs weren't the right height for what he ordered, their response... "bad luck!!" But that may be an isolated case.

Yonnee.
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: sorry Mark, it's late... Reply with quote

I run standard height king springs (yes, I know I should replace them with 'Adam' brand springs, but I had bought them already) and they are immensely stiff, far too stiff to be ideal for road use, but this does make them good fun as the car is very 'chuckable'...
GeminiKing
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: idiot! :P Reply with quote

Doesnt matter - a front spring is a front spring. Whatver is cheapest.

The only rear springs I've seen worth buying are King Springs, cos they are tapered like the originals.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: crap!!! Reply with quote

Actually Mr "King", there is a great deal of difference between springs and spring rates. Is a cheap set of springs going to be tempered properly?! Or shotpeened?! Not all King Springs are tapered, only the ones they sell that are "vairable rate". That's if you want a "cushy" soft ride when your car is unloaded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: