HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

CLUTCH FAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twisted_torque
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 1:49 pm    Post subject: CLUTCH FAN Reply with quote

I was just wondering if anyone has got the clutch fan that I have seen on diesel Jackaroo on there car. I want to get rid of the wirring noise the fan makes at high revs and am deciding whether a clutch fan or electric radiator fan is the go ... any advice?
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: CLUTCH FAN Reply with quote

It's best to leave the clutch fan alone and get hold of an electric item - or better still 2 of them. If you remove or lower any unnesesary rotary or reciprocating mass off the engine then it will be able to do it's job more efficiantly, freeing up small amounts of extra horsepower.
Do a search on this site for electric fans, and the ideas will start flowing. So far, a couple of good choices are the fans from a TP Magna modified to suit of course, and the 626 fans.
Just hunt around the wreckers, Magna's are peices of crap so you're bound to find one sooner or later.
Jasyn...
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: CLUTCH FAN Reply with quote

Sometimes the viscous clutch part of the assembly can be very expensive. I'd look at a thermo fan, either new or off a front wheel drive car. Keep an eye on the workshop, I'll try to do an article on one soon.

Yonnee.
Twisted_torque
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: CLUTCH FAN Reply with quote

Thanks for that guys.. I will start investigating the electric one. If u have a prive range approx I should be spending it would be helpful.. but thanks neway for advice.
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: CLUTCH FAN Reply with quote

Expect to pay somewhere in the region of $50 give or take, for a good set from a wreckers, just make sure you grab everything you need to run them from the donor car.
Jasyn...
Tooleeda
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: CLUTCH FAN Reply with quote

I run a clutch fan from a twincam isuzu 1.8L It bolts straight on to the waterpump flange. Dont know how thermofans stack up against it but its 1000 times better than standard. There's no disadvantage power wise with a clutch fan unless the engine is hot and the fan is engaging which typically only occurs when stationary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: