HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Whats illegal?...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HONES
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 1:28 am    Post subject: Whats illegal?... Reply with quote

Just doing some research on the tinted window side of things.
In adelaide (dunno if its same other states)
Anyways in adelaide does anyone know what the legal tint limit is.
I heard 35% is the darkest legal limit but i got qouted from a prfessional place they can do my whole TG sedan (cept the windsheild) all 20%)

And that place isnt a home, 'come out to me' place. professionals.
I wanna get it done 20%.

Has anyone been pulled over for over-tinted windows?
any defects sorta thing???
Any help wouldnt benefit you, but it would sure help me
Cheers
Jones
Shark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: everything Reply with quote

I went to regency park and had a talk to them about defects.
Apparently window tint one of the most common things that cars are defected for these days. They didn't actually tell me a specific percentage, but they did say "if you ask someone to tint your windows just whithin what they consider the legal limits, and your car ends up here we will defect it".
Still, i don't care my windows are being tinted at lower murray glass at the moment. Oh yeah, the people there also told me that in SA it is illegal to have tint of any sort on the front driver and passesger side windows.

Sam
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Whats illegal?... Reply with quote

For the record, the percentage quoted is the amount of light let through the tint. Current requirements are; without a passengers side mirror, 35% on the rear and rear side windows and 50% on the front two. With a passengers mirror, 35% all round. On my VH Wagon I have 35% on the four doors and 20% on the rear three. Unless you knew what you were looking at, there's not much of a difference. Guy I work with got 5% on his VN. Could sit beside a car at the lights and "flip the bird" and they couldn't see him. But in the sun... the almost black windows actually absorbed heat! The price you pay...

Yonnee.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: everything Reply with quote

So brand new cars with factory tint are not RW in S.A.?
Shark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: everything Reply with quote

That was exactly what i thought after i got back from the place. Makes no sense to me.

Sam
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 2:15 am    Post subject: not illegal!!! Reply with quote

on a car that is pre 1982 there is no legal limit on window tinting. (my g/f's dad used to own solace so i think he would know) ive got 10% on my gem, i highly recommend it!
The law came in (limiting tinting percentages) in 1982 therefore cars made before this you can say "it came out of the factory like this"

same principle as pollution gear and rear seatbelts stc. if it was "on there" before the law came out then they cant do shit.

big places wont do it for you because it is illegal to actually put it on. but little guys will, try pulling the tinter aside and asking for a backyard cash job.
FrAsErTaG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: not illegal!!! Reply with quote

Pete is correct, I have 10% on my gemini aswell I get pulled over all the time, cars abit loud sun? Passed REgo sir
Windows are abit dark, Passed rego sir

Where did u get ur car passed for rego? I had it inspected twice once by a servo and then called to dickson (the main rego inspection place in canberra) randomly.

and they passed these windows? and that loud exhaust?
Sure did its a pre 1982 car, came with the car. and the exhaust is only 2inch with extractors...

Righto get out of here sunny.

I aint ur sun.. drop a second geary out of there hehehe
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: not illegal!!! Reply with quote

yeah i was in exact same scenario like three nights ago, except without the seconds whilst leaving! i got pulled over for drifting through a roundabout by "accident" so i didnt wana push my luck!Smile
Shark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: not illegal!!! Reply with quote

What state are you guys in?
HONES
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: not illegal!!! Reply with quote

cheers guys...looks like 20% it is....

ill just ask them if they can avoid putting their logo on the tint if they dont wanna get caught.
cheers
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: not illegal!!! Reply with quote

NSW
Boog
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Whats illegal?... Reply with quote

I dunno if this is true or not but my gfs dad is a cop (ughh i know) and apparently just recently they scrapped the law on tinted windows.

hopefully its true, cos im going to tint the hell out of the windows on my van

(in sa)
Shark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Whats illegal?... Reply with quote

Thats great, if its correct and if its in for good.

Sam
Badger
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: everything Reply with quote

yep I had some friends move here from NSW, and the tester ran his keys down the tint on the front windows so they would remove it
Shark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: everything Reply with quote

That would have sucked. Especially if they had paid for the tint themselfs. Hopefully the 'front window rule' will be gone soon, as SA is the the only state to still enforce it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: