HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Piazza LSD torque tube diff?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 3:22 am    Post subject: Piazza LSD torque tube diff? Reply with quote

I have heard this diff increased wheel track. Is this correct?

Does anyone know the increase in dimensions over a standard gem item? ie. wheel mounting face to wheel mounting face?

Cheers!
Ben Wight
Shark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Piazza LSD torque tube diff? Reply with quote

I suppose it would if you put in onto your gemini unmodified. From what i have heard the piazza LSD needs to be shortened by 3 inches to fit underneath the gemini's narrower body.

Sam
FrAsErTaG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Piazza LSD torque tube diff? Reply with quote

Shark is correct except with Pano's because the springs on the pano are angled
So I hear.. not confirmed
SickGEM
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Piazza LSD torque tube diff? Reply with quote

Ben,

I use a LSD diif from a ZZ/R Gemini on my TD sedan, and the only thing I had to change was shorten the handbrake cable. Otherwise everything just bolted straight on.
Bugle
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Piazza LSD torque tube diff? Reply with quote

Gemini rear wheel track 1325mm
Piazza rear wheel track 1380mm
But I dunno what the distance from mounting face to mounting face is.. Both have the same offset but piazza has 14x6 with 195's
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Piazza LSD torque tube diff? Reply with quote

TX & TC rear track; 1318mm
TD & TE rear track; 1305mm
TF & TG rear track; 1325mm

Just to be picky... lol Surprised)

And if the offset of the wheels are the same, wouldn't that mean the difference in the wheel track is the difference in the length of the diff? After all the "track" is measured at the centre of the wheel/tyre which is also from where the offset is measured.

Yonnee.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Piazza LSD torque tube diff? Reply with quote

I know that TX and TC models have a banjo diff which would explain the different tracks you have quoted between these models and TD (salisbury) and later models, but why would TF and TG's have a wider track than a TD, TE?? They use the same wheels dont they?

Ben Wight
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Piazza LSD torque tube diff? Reply with quote

You wouldn't have a spare ZZ/R LSD laying around would you? Does this diff have the normal drum brakes and torque tube, or are they slightly different?

Ben Wight
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Piazza LSD torque tube diff? Reply with quote

They didn't actually. The offset changed by 10mm negative a wheel from TF.

Yonnee.
Hamal
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Piazza LSD torque tube diff? Reply with quote

Forgive me for asking a possibly stupid question but could you compensate for a wider diff with a high negative offset wheel?
elky
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Piazza LSD torque tube diff? Reply with quote

the early model piazza (japan only 83-86) had a torque tube lsd disc rear that is a closer fit than a later piazza rear that australia got ( i have 1 for sale!) as the later model did not have a torque tube but rather a four link set up. The zz/r or zz/t rear is a pretty much bolt in proposition if u can find 1. The use of front wheel drive offset can be substituted for the wider track. there is a bit of mucking around to fit a piazza rear end, and because of the motor i am fitting i don't think it will handle the torque so it is for sale, so i can fit a stronger rear end.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Piazza LSD torque tube diff? Reply with quote

Would actually be a high positive offset, and yes.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Piazza LSD torque tube diff? Reply with quote

Yeah you could, but there are two issues, one general and one relative to me in particular.

Number one is that I have 7" wheels and cannot really go further into the car much because the wheel will rub on the inner-inner guard or the shock.

The second issue is that I already have wheels and dont want to fork out for another pair. Another set actually as the wheels I run only come in 7" with a set offset.

Ben Wight
SickGEM
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Piazza LSD torque tube diff? Reply with quote

Ben,

The ZZ/R LSD diff actually comes with disc brakes. As I said everything (except handbrake cable) bolts straight up and increases the breaking power damm good. Unfortunatley, I don't have one lying around.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Piazza LSD torque tube diff? Reply with quote

Where did you get yours? I'm pretty keen, any info would be handy.

Ben Wight
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: