HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

what do i need...how do i do this...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HONES
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 1:36 am    Post subject: what do i need...how do i do this... Reply with quote

Hey gang!!

I know this is a fair stupid question to people who have done their cars u and all but i havent so dont be mean to me coz i dontknow...

Well anyways i have a hole in my drivers doors and passenger (same side) its not huge but enough to really piss me off coz its really noticeabel...probly around 5cm diametr each side. (so fair big)
anyways the holes are due to rust.

so basically what im asking is how do i bog up the holes, sand smooth etc.

WHat do i need, do u have any recommendations?

How do i go about stuffing the whole with whatever i need to? also do i have to take the door trim off to get inside..etc coz its down the bottom and hard to get to.

Cheers fellas and gellas
Jones
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: what do i need...how do i do this... Reply with quote

dont worry im not gonna tell you off...

libraries can be a gold mine for stuff like this...

just go look in thr automotive section and borrow a few, it wont cost you anything and the info is usually pretty relaible with pictures and all that stuff...

i had the same question in mine and was flicking thru an rx7 repair manual and there was an entire chapter dedicated on the entire process of fixing a rust hole! didn't matter what car u did it to, the process is the same right form prep to paint

just a suggestion

repair manuals can be good causethey are often very DIY based

cheers
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: what do i need...how do i do this... Reply with quote

dont worry im not gonna tell you off...

libraries can be a gold mine for stuff like this...

just go look in thr automotive section and borrow a few, it wont cost you anything and the info is usually pretty relaible with pictures and all that stuff...

i had the same question in mine and was flicking thru an rx7 repair manual and there was an entire chapter dedicated on the entire process of fixing a rust hole! didn't matter what car u did it to, the process is the same right form prep to paint

just a suggestion

repair manuals can be good causethey are often very DIY based

cheers
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: what do i need...how do i do this... Reply with quote

i had the same problem....cut/grind out the rust with an angle grinder or a wire-brush...[on a drill is easier],
fold the surface edges in a little, rough up with a file, then treat with rust converter...see instructions on pack...then you have 3 choices,metal,fiberglass,filler.
metal involves welding and is a pain in the arse, fiberglass is almost as bad, and filler is an easy option.

for large holes/holes that go completely through the door, use a product known as metal-fix....a plastic/steel/fiberglass composite 2part resin.
fill the hole, file to shape, give a topcoat of bog/reo-fill, sand, undercoat,paint.
there.
thats what i done...but it is up to you.
hope it helps,
rob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: