HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

5spd into TX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darcy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: 5spd into TX Reply with quote

I am fitting a 5 speed box to my TX coupe, ghowever a few problems have emerged.

1. the rverse light switch is on the passengers side towards the back. (easyily overcome)

2. the rear gearbox mount os 85mm further back than where it lines up with the floor.

3. the speedo drive is located directly inline with the mnounting points on the floor of the car.

has anyone else encountered such problems? if so what did you do?

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks.
Mark.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: 5spd into TX Reply with quote

What month and year is on your I.D. tag? Was it a manual before and where was reverse on the old box?
Just doing some research. And yes, some early cars have problems with such conversions. Try the 'search' function for other posts.

Yonnee.
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 5spd into TX Reply with quote

Hold on tight darcy, I will get my butt into gear in the next day or two and write up the workshop item.

Do a search for anything by me relating to 5spd in TX and you will find some summaries.

85mm back sounds right.
In short, I removed the floor mounts and moved them back. Everything else works out ok.

What looks like a reverse switch on top of the 5spd is actually pollution crap. Leave the switch in there but don't connect it to anything.

Cheers
Slug
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 5spd into TX Reply with quote

Sounds like a flat floor pan model, Are their humps under the front seats or is it flat (at the same level as the rest of the floor ? ... Michael
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: 5spd into TX...switch. Reply with quote

It's actually your top gear switch. Also connected to your accelerator and clutch pedals and carby, it bumps the idle speed of your car when it's in top gear with your feet OFF both pedals so the car will "cruise" at low speeds without stalling.
Just another bit of useless information from me! Surprised)

Yonnee.
Woz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 5spd into TX...switch. Reply with quote

well explained Smile

-woz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: