HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

removel of gemini doors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doe
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 10:53 pm    Post subject: removel of gemini doors Reply with quote

what is the correct method/tools to remove the pins from the gemini door hinge. thanks
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: removel of gemini doors Reply with quote

Get a pin removing tool from Repco (yep that's what its called) and use some penetrating oil eg wd40 a couple of hours before or the day before. Get a mate to help you - they are bloody heavy with the glass in (well at least the wagon doors are). A less refined method is a gas axe or an angle grinder.
Cheers
Michael
Doe
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: removel of gemini doors Reply with quote

Micheal thankyou--- any idea on the cost of this tool?
Shark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: removel of gemini doors Reply with quote

I was quoted $300 for the proper tool that the panel beaters use, the repco one would be cheaper though.
By the way how could you possibly get an angle grinder to remove door pins without f**king everything up?
Doe
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: removel of gemini doors Reply with quote

I dont think pins r the parts which r grinded. Anyway thanks for the input.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: removel of gemini doors Reply with quote

angel grider if u dont want the doors. or make a tool yourself thats what i did. get 2 long bolts that are about or smaller than the pins them self then weld them into a shape of a "T" ( -| ) then hold it over the pin and hit the top of the bolt with a hammer and it will push the pins through and out
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: removel of gemini doors Reply with quote

Oh, that makes more sense. Yeah thats how i removed the pins on my doors too, just made up a piece of metal that would fit through the holes and knocked the pins out with it. Each door took well over an hour to remove though..
Poizon
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: removel of gemini doors Reply with quote

with the proper ($300) tool, it takes all of about 5 mins to get the door off...

but then again, it is the proper tool, and I was in the workshop.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: removel of gemini doors Reply with quote

took me like 15 mins with the tool i made. cant see how it would take an hour?? were u smoking billys at the same time???? lol
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: removel of gemini doors Reply with quote

The repco one was about $50 from memory a couple of years back. Only took a couple of minutes per door.
The angle grinder will of course f**k everything up on either the shell side or the door side - depending what you want to keep Surprised)
If you live in Brissie, you could borrow mine, assuming the last mate I lent it to can find it...
Cheers
Shark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: removel of gemini doors Reply with quote

nah mate. the pins were fixed in good. On one of the pins was that stuck, we had to make up a cable running through the pin welded to the piece of metal on the other side. the other end of the cable was connected to a winch and we used the whole weight of the car as well as hammering the other side of the pin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: