HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

202 in a gem???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: waste of money Reply with quote

I agree, total waste of time and effort. But to clear up a couple of things.
1. A 202 will fit with no firewall mods if you modve the radiator into the radiator support panel and fit a thermo, cos ive done it. This cuases shit handling too, but makes a good burnout car.
2. You can cut a firewall and still get a car registered. There is a red te gemini with a turbo six out of a supra running around brisbane, and it has a cut firewall, is fully dot approved and registered.
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: waste of money Reply with quote

God, I'd love to meet the auto. eng. who signed off on that one... I was on the phone to the mods. guys for about half an hour discussing gemini shit once (actually rang them to prove that Gene was speaking out his arse about bonnet scoop rules) and when I even suggested cutting the firewall the guy nearly had a heart attack, while this is hardly a legally binding ruling it instilled a sense of doubt in my mind regarding the chances.
Slug
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: 202 in a gem??? Reply with quote

Try 1948 Grey ...
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: waste of money Reply with quote

Adam, your comment about bonnet scoops made me think of the little booklet from Queensland transport that I have explaining all about modifications to motor vehicles (including rules for bonnet scoops). It is available free on request by faxing 0738838775 or phoning 0738838779 and quoting catalog number PBT-0671.

Cheers
Michael
Turbo_Gem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: 202 in a gem??? Reply with quote

my dad had a 202 powered gemi coupe sports sedan in the late 70`s, tho this thing had a full space frame and mounted the donk so far back that the rear weber sat about where the radio sits in a stock gem. THATS how u get a 202 gem to handle.. shame itd still get wasted by any mild jap turbo 4 pot available these days.. p.s. dads sports sedan avoided the firewall cutting problem by not having a firewall. well not a gem one anyway. one day i`ll post some pictures up in the gallery
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 202 in a gem??? Reply with quote

Can we please have no more questions reagarding putting a 202 in a gem?
IDAREU2
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: EGGY Reply with quote

no you wont need a flame suit mate Im just sick and tired of you guys slinging the shit at guys that want to put bigger engines in the gemmys and they do handle quite well for some reason woth a little more weight in the front end
and EGGY no my car hasnt passed yet Im half way through it

cheers
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: waste of money Reply with quote

A better bigger booklet is available by handing over $60 at your local goprint store, the light vehicle sheme regulations. Of course it now mirrors the other easterns states regulations, and they have their books available online.
Robbo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 4:00 am    Post subject: gems are SHlT!!!! Reply with quote

MAT MAN u toss if you dont wanna read it.. errhhhh Neutral DONT CLICK IT YA d!ckhead . i only queiried it coz i figured .. (now this might hurt some feelings) i figured geminis are shit. u can pick them up for about $500. if not at the dump.. so therefor i can get one cheap chuck in the six. which is a hotted up 202. with a 0.060" thou (215ci) overbore/oversize pistons. 287 duration 430 lift hydraulic XU1 cam, new lifters, valve springs etc. 186 high compression heads (cc'ed & pollished) extractors tripple 1.75" SUs.

anyway i was just planning to chuck in this engine until i drove the gem into the ground and then take the motor and move on.. or replace the gem hahah. anyway i dont need to justify my self.. least of all to you, of all people.

anyway flame me all you want coz im interested in your feed back.. really i am. thanks everyone this has been.... well maybe not informative but it has been entertaining...
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't be like that.... Reply with quote

Why is it that some people get shitty after midnight??

Robbo, to make your life a bit easier, Rod Hadfield developed an engine conversion kit to bolt Holden's trusty old workhorse (how many other motors had a 22 year lifespan?), into an early Jackeroo with the G200. I've used the same kit to put a 186 red into an 83 2WD Rodeo and have plans for my current 4WD Rodeo with a 202 I have lying around. The same kit would also fit the motor into the Gemini, but I would think you might have to make the top of the radiator support panel removable to physically get the donk into the engine bay.
Take it or leave it, I hope this has been useful,

Yonnee.
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Push Rod's are SHlT!!!! Reply with quote

Go the Push Rods are you planing on using a traumatic

Why not a Torry? there even cheaper than Gem's and ya motor will fit?

Triple 1.75inch SU's I bet you pull over them...

three big rev's and the gem body will be looking the longer life of this combo,

give it a rest and goe home,
IDAREU2
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: shut up adam Reply with quote

my 350 chev powered gemini has a fuking cut fire wall and adelaides best engineer doug potts couldnt give 2 flying fuks as long as it passes the torshinal test then the car passes so before you come on here slinging your fingers off do more homework ..

remember this guys my gemini is halfway through be road registed so if it passes I think a holden spue o spue will pass as long as it is done properly..

HTTP://www.geocities.com/pro350gemini
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: shut up adam Reply with quote

Jeez, I'm not entirely sure how to respond to this... On one hand I could argue:

"The vehicle to be tested shall be safely supported for loading up to the specified values and mounted through the hubs with its springs and dampers made incompressible or replaced by spacers. Figure 2 and 3 indicates the preferred mounting of the vehicle for beaming and torsional tests. Rear supports must be able to resist the up-thrust for the torsional test. Other methods of supporting the vehicle will be considered provided the support points are not located within the wheelbase.

Etc etc. Feel free to question my research but please do not criticise me in such a mindless fashion."

Or alternatively I could argue:
"Would this be the same SBC powered gemini referred to in a post by a fellow South Australian, in which he stated that your car had been defected and was unroadworthy? A post which, may I remind you, I was kind enough to remove upon your request because you were concerned about damage to your reputation."

I could take a more thought out position and suggest:
"The cost of having the necessary fabrication work performed and engineered would be prohibitively expensive considering the mediocrity of the outcome. It is after all, still a 202."

I could probe into the hidden meanings of Leroy's post:
" (quote)...so if it passes...(end quote) So it hasn't yet passed, I've followed the updates to your site with some interest and I have no doubt to the engineering skill in force behind the project and yet you still aren't certain enough to say "when it passes"?"

I could be a jerk and just say:
"To ban, or not to ban: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slurs and insults of leroy."

They are all decent arguments (and I love a good debate) but I think my thoughts are best summed up as follows;
"You really could brush up on your social skills Leroy, perhaps I took your post in the wrong way and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. But do try to remember that the purpose of the forum is to exchange information, and to attack someone for doing so is ultimately defeatist.

I was well aware of the process for registering a car which is undergoing such modifications, but did not consider them to be practical. Have faith that you are not the only person with a degree of knowledge and please try to exhibit a little more social courtesy in future"

So, whaddya think guys?
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 6:29 pm    Post subject: well isn't this getting good Reply with quote

As i said above, isn't this starting to get good. As far as I am concerned, if they pass it, Good luck to ya. If not - drive the bastard anyway.

Strong argument Adam.

My opinion, don't wast ur time on the as Leroy said spue o spue. Just buy a fricken commodore if u luv the motor so much.
IDAREU2
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: adam Reply with quote

what are you getting so shitty and defencive about the fact that the firewall can be cut out or the title..

and if you want to ban me then so be it i think this goes back a little further than this post for you to say that your going to ban me...

I think you have taking the post the wrong way mate I meant no harm by it.. the title could of been a little softer but you were wrong on the firewall..

and my social skills are very good thank you just thinking what to write is a bit dismal ..

plus could you please remove the car from your site as that is not what it looks like anymore and if interested when finished Ill send you up date pictures...

cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: