HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

need help turboing my gemi.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEMWPN
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 12:05 am    Post subject: need help turboing my gemi. Reply with quote

what do i exaxtly need do do it? atm i have the turbo its a TC-05, 2.0ltr motor, webbercarb, extractors and 2and quarter mandrelbent zorst,: do i need a 2 and half or 3inch sorst or will 2 and quarter be ok?, how do i make up the inlet manifold? and will i need to get twinwebber carbs or wil the single be fine, what else do i need to get it up and running?,,sum1 plz help,,
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: need help turboing my gemi. Reply with quote

the hardest part will prob be plumbing, and making an air tight hat for your weber, if you want to go efi a piazza efi manifold will solve that problem, and get an intercooler mount it infront of the radiator and get some mandral bent 2 inch pipes from your turbo to intercooler to intake manifold, your exhaust will do fine until you want to run more than 10 psi, then start to consider changing it,

cheers
Eggy
Robbo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: need help turboing my gemi. Reply with quote

eggy im not too sure but i would consider going with suck through rather than blow through.... this makes it easier to tune.. im not too sure how hard webbers are to tune but if they are anything at all like holleys you will have a pressureised fuel bowl.. and im pretty sure this makes it a lot more hastles... so instead maybe mounting the carb beforer the turbo will solve this... once again tho im not sure if the turbo mentioned will work for this... id stick with the carbs too.. EFI would definatly be more powerfull but you'll be up for a reprogramed EMS unit which can vary from $400-$4000.. and getting exhaust plumbed up tomatch your turbo will be a pain in the ass but a good exhaust shop will sort that out.. you might be able to get suggestions about your exhaust size while your getting quotes on the work to be done... anyway thats my 2cents..

hope it works out for ya.. a turbo gem would be hell mad! haha.
Robbo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: need help turboing my gemi. Reply with quote

ok after checking your car out eggy... REEESSSPECT.. haha niiiice...
9inch is that over kill? how many difs had u blown to make a 9 inch conversion necessary? cutting up axles and housings and tail shafts and the brake crap aswell.. not an easy job. is it a lsd or an open wheeler and what ratios would you be running on that?
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: need help turboing my gemi. Reply with quote

of course nothing but LSD currently 3.9:1 's but looking at 4.11's or 4.56's depending on budget, and cam shaft ulterations before playing with the diff,

yeah killed a few diff's about 10 std gem diff's & 1 piazza but got changing a gem diff down to about 2 hrs

Such through? yeah there has been a lot of dising about such or blow turbo setup's personally and from freinds suck is easier but less reliable / economical and you cannot run an intercooler, but hey it ain't my car so you all can do what you like I'm just try'n to help,

Cheers
Eggy

Cheers
GEMWPN
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: need help turboing my gemi. Reply with quote

i got a TC05 turbo from a cordia, what steps will i need to go through to get the job done? or who is best to see about it? the more help the better.. i have never played with a carbie car before let alone thinking about turbo charging one.. thanx..
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: need help turboing my gemi. Reply with quote

conatct ATS in Tulla,
they will be able to help but as you have a lack of knowledge you gota expect that their prices are all in, ie all the shit and prob's you don't know so if you get out of it for $5K then your doing well,

cheers
Eggy
Turbo_Gem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: need help turboing my gemi. Reply with quote

ok boyz from the horses mouth: u will need an oil feed and return lines from the oil galleries and back to the sump respectively,budget $100, find a gem efi manifold, remove throttle body & injectors,plug inj holes with 14mm welch plugs,exhaust shop can make a crossover pipe,get a piazza turbo stock exhaust manifold and get an adapter made to suit the cordia turbo, get a 40 - 45 mm weber sidedraft carb and get it adapted to the comp housing of the turbo, probably using exhaust tubing or an alloy adapter if u can find something usable.run a 3 inch dump pipe outa your exh housing adapted into your 2 1/4 for now.dont try and run a blow thru setup, they are SHIT. youll be surprised at how big youll need to jet the carb.. hope this helped ya coz it took ages to two finger type..
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: need help turboing my gemi. Reply with quote

sounds interesing, good to here some else in good with 2 finger, concern about getting the weber level ie float bowl probs, but hey i made an adaptor plateout of alloy to bolt a GRA 350 cfm to a piazza mani so anything is possible, would you consider an intercooler before the weber?

cheers
Eggy
GEMWPN
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: need help turboing my gemi. Reply with quote

i already got the webber carb, not sure if its a side draft of down draft tho, how do i tell? cant u just make up a custom manifold with 3inch exhaust piping? and what is the dif btw a blow thru set up and suck thru?
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: need help turboing my gemi. Reply with quote

check the base mounting plate it may say DCOE ... or IDF... then search the web, the diff between blow thru or suck thru, you can find out by check the out post's tyhere is about 100 posts on this subject read em all yo9u may learn a thing or too, as there is a considerable difference in setup and output

Cheers
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: need help turboing my gemi. Reply with quote

If its a twin barrel design with a brass wingnut on one side, look at the base of the carb near the butterflies somewhere, DCOE is sidedraught, IDF is downdraught, there are some others but not very popular.

If it says DHLA, you have a Dellorto, not weber, sidedraught though. Solex make a weber style carb aswell. They are all similar and will perform the same witht he same jetting, although parts for the weber can still be bought new although expensive.

BTW, stick to draw (suck) through, you will make to much power blowing through and intercooling, that you will just scare yourself and crash your car from the imminent and uncontrollable wheelspin.

Stick to Draw through, its a lot more docile.

Ben Wight
Fastgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: need help turboing my gemi. Reply with quote

hah.. thats funny Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: