HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

202 in a gem???
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robbo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 3:13 am    Post subject: 202 in a gem??? Reply with quote

im thinking about shoehorning a worked 202 into a gem.. i figure it will go hard thanks to the light weight of the gem.. and also coz they look so damn good. can anyone tell me of pitfalls with attempting this.. i had a look at one guys gem and it looks like he has cut out the fire wall or something.. i dont wanto go to anything this drastic.. and im also planning on getting it registerd in QLD is this going to be a hastle? thanks.

well i was just looking for some advice any comments/suggestions would be much appreciated.. thanks again
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 3:18 am    Post subject: Let me answer this one, guys. Reply with quote

Robbo,

Click on search, and do a search for 202, read half a dozen threads and tell me what the problems will be.
Fastgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: 202 in a gem??? Reply with quote

and im also planning on getting it registerd in QLD is this going to be a hastle?

Hmmm... at a guess i would say err.. yes.
Why does everyone want to put a 202 in there gem? If you want a 6 may as well make it worth while and put in a rb30T or something good with injection, not a motor from 1960.
Robbo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Let me answer this one, guys. Reply with quote

i searched 202, 186, red six, and got no results. so where are all these threads that i should read?
Robbo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 202 in a gem??? Reply with quote

1960 huh? try 1971(red) to 1986(black).. and coz i dont want a jap engine.. also coz i have a worked 202...
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 202 in a gem??? Reply with quote

well put ya 202 in a torry and leave the Gem for Jap engines, because you have no chance if you an't gunna cut heaps out of the fire wall, the 202 is about 1 ft longer than a gem, how do you think it will fit without cutting?
Shark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 202 in a gem??? Reply with quote

The only decent 202 gem that i have ever seen was an of road unregistered one, simply used for entering burnout competition, oh and that superchared one that runs 10s at AIR.
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Let me answer this one, guys. Reply with quote

Hmmm, a shortcoming of the search engine.

I'll summarise them for you, it can be done, you've got buckleys of getting it registered, they are crap motors and it will ruin the handling.
IDAREU2
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: ADAM Reply with quote

what the fuk would you know what it does to the handling of the car have you been in one have you as long as the sit the motor evenly in the bay with no excesive front cross member over hang for weight transfer under braking loads and with the right coil springs will handle quite well..

signed PROGEM
IDAREU2
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: waste of money Reply with quote

mate if you are not going to cut the fire wall dont bother even tring to fit the motor it WILL NOT GO and if you do decide to cut the fire wall I could think of other quicker stocker motors that will fit

signed PROGEM
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: ADAM Reply with quote

I could have and should have worded that better, however it was just a quick summary... here is the long version.

Geminis already have crap weight distribution, with the engine more or less bisected by the front axle line. This makes them uncompetitive in improved production racing as you are only allowed to move the engine as far as you can without modifying the firewall, which in a gemini means the engine can only move rearwards about one inch.

To get a 202 into a gemini engine bay would require you to mount it further forward than a gemini motor (if anyone wants to debate this, please don't hesitate), you could compensate for this with heavier springs and it might handle as good as a very average car. But it wouldn't handle well, now this may be fine for 1/4 racing, but 1/4 racing doesn't normally have too many corners.

IMHO, about the best thing holden could have done when they built the gemini would have been to move the engine and gearbox backwards four inches (move the fan blower box under the dash), this would have given much better static weight distribution, given a more 'normal' gearlever position and given a lot of spare room up the front of the engine bay for the intercooler...
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: ADAM Reply with quote

Yeah I guess you have a gem with a 202 right with rego!!!, come on general logic mate! more weight over the front with a 202? Yes, weather or not you attempt to balance the
The chances are that who ever fit's a 202 to a gem will probably want 4 wheel drums too, and an AM wireless, foxtail,

PROGEM, from memory you have the gem with the 350? if i am right you have spend a fuck of a lot of time and money on such a project, and more money on strengthing and front sys work to support the 350 and make it handle, would you bother fitting a 202? by the way did you get the Gem rego'ed?

how about explaining the work you've done and costs rather than flame the site creators?

no double i'm next on the flaming,

Cheers
Eggy
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: waste of money Reply with quote

PROGEM, I'm sure you've dealt with a lot of automotive engineers... Keeping in mind that the box section formend by the shelf at the rear of the gemine engine bay is one of the primary structural members of the car... how do you think an automotive engineer would react if you asked to cut out the firewall?
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ADAM Reply with quote

Here, you can borrow my flame suit.
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: ADAM Reply with quote

thanks I'll probably need it soon,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: