HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Home porting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 7:31 pm    Post subject: Home porting Reply with quote

I want to do some porting at home but dont have a compressor at home to use with my die grinder. I have a dremmel and want to know if and of their bits are the right type for doinf this. Are there any big enough? and does anyone know if they have tungsten carbide bits? Has anyone used a dremmel to do port work?
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Home porting Reply with quote

yeah, but you'll prob cook the dremmel, try an electric drill more grunt, better life, also you may need a shaft extension to reach deep when porting manifolds,

I made my shaft estension on a mates lathe,
cheers
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Home porting Reply with quote

I've found the dremel to be completely useless for porting, it lacks the speed, the power and most importantly of all, the chuck capacity. Most alloy burrs have the standard 6mm(1/4 inch) shaft and will not fit the dremel.

You can use a power drill however it really lacks the speed and most noticably the accuracy of a die-grinder.

The dremel is however excellent for final finishing, smoothing and the polishing of combustion chambers and exhaust ports.
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Home porting Reply with quote

As it happens its more the final finish etc that I ant to so. Which bits would you suggest?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: