HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Exhaust Sizes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:53 pm    Post subject: Exhaust Sizes Reply with quote

Yo guys, i was wondering what would be the best size exhaust to get 2,2 1/4 or a 2 1/2. And does a 2 1/2 sound to big and like shit??????
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Sizes Reply with quote

Why not get a 4" exhaust?
Hamal
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Sizes Reply with quote

I thought 2.5" is good for a NA 4 cylinder car (from what I've read in magazines, and in this forum), but I also heard that for a turbo, more is always better Razz
zzz
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Sizes Reply with quote

from what i understand 2or2and1/4 inch systems are best for non turbos because they need back pressure turbos are the oppiste and 2 1/2 or 3 inch is better
zzz
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Sizes Reply with quote

from what i understand 2or2and1/4 inch systems are best for non turbos because they need back pressure turbos are the oppiste and 2 1/2 or 3 inch is better
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Sizes Reply with quote

Yep, thats right, the more back pressure the better.

That's what my Paw used to saay!
(said with southern accent)
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Sizes Reply with quote

Get 4-2-1 2" headers/extractors, 2" pipe to a "double offset straight thru" sigle muffler. good power, great note, cheap pipe, good value.
rob.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Sizes Reply with quote

no i think thats a bit wrong. so u are saying more the better. so if i put a 1inch system on i will go faster?!?!?! i think not!. i have a very worked 1.8 engin and had a 2.25 inch system and them went to a 2.5 inch system and fuck i got heaps more outta the car, and i got an extra 70-80km per tank of gas!!!! was great!! go the 2.5inch it sounds fuckin mad!!!!!!!!!
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Sizes Reply with quote

tuned extractors, 2.5inch pipe, lucky turbo muffler, chrome dump tip. $390 sounds filth and i got 70-80km extra to a tank
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Sizes Reply with quote

Tuned extractors, 2.25" pipe, Redback high flow muffler, small hotdog on tail with 3" exit, slash cut for discretion.
Pipe hugs the body so I can go low with no fear, $450 all up a few years ago.
Sounds fat and I can still get 600km to a tank of fuel Smile
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Sizes Reply with quote

Rob, what's the dealio with a "double offset straight thru" ? Is That when the muffler has it's inlet and outlet on opposite sides ? This is what i'm assuming with the muffler having the pipe going straight thru diagonally inside the muffler without hitting any baffles, turns etc.
Is this right ?
Cheers,
Jasyn...
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Sizes Reply with quote

More back-pressure is definately not the way to go. No engines LIKE backpressure, this is a common myth, much more important is the accoustics of the exhaust (IE, reversion and whatnot), but on a gemmy engine, a 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 would be best.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Sizes Reply with quote

600!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow!!! im lucky to get 450km/ per tank!!!
maybe the rediculessly large cam has something to do with it?!?!?! heheheh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Sizes Reply with quote

I'm telling you guys, my Paw (southern accent once again) used to work for ferrari in their native land of Spain, the smaller the exhaust on their F355's, the more power they used to make at the spare wheel!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: