HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Gemini Towing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 5:00 pm    Post subject: Gemini Towing Reply with quote

What would you guys (and girls) rekon the best sized car to tow a car trailer with a gemini on it? i have to pick up two with no engines and i think its gonna cost me a fortune to get them towed so i was thinking car trailer.

If its a twin axle what would the minimum sized car you could safely use?

any help be great, cheers
martin
RedTG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Gemini Towing Reply with quote

stick wif the Holden and get a HQ or HJ sedan,

Regards

as for the tralier it should cost around $50

for four hours
zzz
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Gemini Towing Reply with quote

i have towed a trailer with an rx4 on it with a sigma wagon
it was slow but felt safe just leave a bigger distance for braking at least 3 to 4 times your normal distance
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Gemini Towing Reply with quote

This is my specialty.
First of all how far are you going to tow the cars? Do you want to be legal?
Since the towing regulation became uniform Australia wide recently, it makes things somewhat easier to give the correct advice. Now you're allowed, in ALL states, to tow a trailer that weighs up to 1.5 times the unladen weight of the tow vehicle, or the vehicle manufacturers maximum recommendation, whichever is the lesser. This can also depend on the towbar attatched to the said tow vehicle. For example, genuine towbars for VB-VP Commodores and most later "H" series holdens had a rating of 900kg capacity. Aftermarket bars had 1500kg, and heavy duty "hitch receivers" (square bar style), up to 2100kg.
Geminis, unladen are about 850 - 950 kg, give or take a few for the motor, and an average car trailer around 500 - 600 kg. If you're careful you could tow with most "H" series holdens, Commodores, F**cons, and just about any commercial vehicle. For passenger cars, stick with something bigger than an LC/LJ torana and 6 or 8 cylinders. Keep a good 10% of the weight up front of the trailer will try to swap ends with you, trust me, I've had to run a downhill, red light left turn to save one! SCARY STUFF!!

Hope this helps,
Yonnee.
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Gemini Towing Reply with quote

Excellent thankyou for that. I think the furthest i would be towing would be about 30-50k's

I am gonna try and get my hands on a land cruiser or patrol or something one sunday and do it then. If the gemini dosnt have an engine in it which is the best way to put it on the trailer? still front on?

I would guess that a factory 4wd towbar would be rated high enough to tow a gemini right?
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gemini Towing Reply with quote

Yeah, 4WD should be spot on. You could drag it round OZ with one of them! Wouldn't matter which way round less motor, just pull it as far forward as she'll go.

Yonnee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: