HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Is this possible

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedTG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 1:17 pm    Post subject: Is this possible Reply with quote

I am taking my running gear out of my TG into a TX, is this possible, it was an auto, but i have a manual, i see holes but are they there for that?? so is it exactly the same?? fittings, umm length????

HELP
greg j
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this possible Reply with quote

good decision by mine, tx's are a bit rarer, better looking. i guess everything major is interchangable, motor, diff, box. i've got a td running te diff and whats probably a later model box....not that it's any good! maybe not some of the suspension gear. ie.panhard rod etc.

hope i was of some help.
greg
RedTG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this possible Reply with quote

well i know they are rare, that is why i got this, i have sent it away to get straightend and painted in Toyota RAV4 sky blue, this is costing me a fair bit, and i wish to transferr over till i have my options between a FJ20DET or DOHC 2 ltr, plus my seventeens will be a bit of a squeeze i reckon, but im getting new suspension and nolothane bushes, shocks, blah blah, but this has been a great help, maybe catch up sometime
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this possible Reply with quote

I should hurry my ass up and do the workshop entry. I will do this as soon as I can find the source.

In short, if it is a 5spd, you will have hassle putting it into an early TX. The rear gearbox mounts are 50-70mm forward of the later models, meaning the rear gearbox x-member doesn't bolt up.

Stay tuned.
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this possible Reply with quote

Rare TX?

I still got one for sale if anyone wants to buy it.

Engine buggerd but runs. Apart from that not too bad. Stockie ready for some work.

Im in sydney.
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this possible Reply with quote

Benjamin, i'm about to perform the auto to manual conversion in my TX myself within the next 2-4 weeks. What if i got hold of a wrecked TD with a 5 speed. With these 2 models being similar would there be any hassles with the gearbox crossmember ? What would need to be done to rectify the situation ?
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Is this possible Reply with quote

Rare TX? Wha??
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Is this possible Reply with quote

If the TD has a 5spd already, then the differences between TX and TD floor pans amount to the BIG changes made after the TX.

The hassle I had was, as I mentioned, the rear gearbox mounts on the floor pan. These are about 50-70mm too far forward on the TX, necessitating:
a) custom rear gearbox x-member (not ideal after lotsa thought)
OR
b) moving the mounts on the floor

It is a pity I can't find the workshop item I wrote. I might write another up tonight and post it in. In short, I got my engineer friend to move the mounts. The usual hassles with splines are also there, requiring a 5spd tailshaft.

The speedo cable works fine, as does all the clutch gear. It is only the mounts that present a problem. Just grab the tailshaft out of the TD, and maybe while you're at it use the diff out of the TD if it is in better condition.

Another thing I thought of, it could be possible that the floor pan is different for the automatic TX. This is highly unlikely but stranger things have happened. Take a measuring tape to both TD and TX floor pans and measure from the bell housing to the mounts.

Cheers Smile
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this possible Reply with quote

Ben, How early was your TX? Could it be that my theory, that I wrote in an earlier post, regarding the very first TX's, with arse about reverse using the Japanese floor pan, be correct?
We might have to do some research.

Yonnee.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Gem!!!? Reply with quote

According to my bible, there were some 43,000 TX's, 42,000 TD's, 70,000 TE's, 28,000 TF's, and 24,000 TG's. The two rare one's are the RB with 16,000 (but let's not mention our baby step-brother again...lol), and the TC with only 17,000 cars produced! And I'll bet there's alot of those at the wreckers/tip/metal recyclers...R.I.P.!

My 2c!

Yonnee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: