HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Got electronic dizzy, need help plz :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:14 pm    Post subject: Got electronic dizzy, need help plz :) Reply with quote

Hi all,
I purchased an electronic dizzy on Saturday, which the wrecker tells me is either off an early Rodeo/Jackaroo, but it is labelled as Gemini. Seeing as it was only $55, I thought why not, and if it won't go I can take it back.

Dimensionally it is identical to the standard Gemini dizzy, with minor differences to the cap and vacuum advance.

The cap is standard fare, coil in, 4 plugs out. There is also a bayonet coming from the module in the dizzy, which has one red and one white wire. Is it a case of supplying 12v (red=pos, white=neg) to the dizzy, hooking her up and away she goes, or will I need some sort of external module a-la Sigma and a few others?

I have an auto elec who can help me out but I thought I would sound you guys out first Smile

Thanx
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Got electronic dizzy, need help plz :) Reply with quote

Yep, that's what I did and it works fine,
power was picked up from the coil and the neg was attached to the neg on the coil,
all worked fine,

cheers
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Got electronic dizzy, need help plz :) Reply with quote

Sweeeeeet!
Work well, more response and the usual thing?
Did you remove the ballast resistor?
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Got electronic dizzy, need help plz :) Reply with quote

I have used it both way's and even purchaced another for the other Gem, but I have not fitted it yet, works very well with a MSD Blast2 Coil and 10mm leads, I just had to get it regraphed, to suit LPG and the Turbo,

cheers
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Got electronic dizzy, need help plz :) Reply with quote

Well, it ain't that easy. I will be buying an electronic ignition coil and module today. $25 ain't so bad for that but just a warning that it otherwise may not work.

I am not sure what anyone else has done but the auto elecs I have spoken to assure me a module and specific coil are required.

Cheers
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Got electronic dizzy, need help plz :) Reply with quote

it's dam easy, you could set a coil and the dissy and a car battery on the bench connect all wires as in the car, spin the dissy and see if you get spark?

Cheers
Andrew
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Got electronic dizzy, need help plz :) Reply with quote

I just bought and fitted one too. I got my ignition module off a Holden Shuttle. It came with the resistor attached, so i just used the standard 9v coil. Got it re-graphed and it goes awesome now (no more of that damn pinging i had before).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: