HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Workshop item

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 9:16 am    Post subject: Workshop item Reply with quote

Ok, time to get pro-active...

Can someone please write a workshop article outlining why it is NOT a good idea to fit a commodore V6 to a gemini... or I _suppose_ it could be a pros/cons type article... although in my crabby 5am sleep-deprived mood I can't see any pros.
Fastgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Workshop item Reply with quote

You CANT see any pros to having a efi v6 motor in a gemini?? I Can think of at least one...
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Workshop item Reply with quote

I can see pros to having an EFI V6 in a Gemini, as long as it conforms to these rules:
1) Has DOHC and 4 valves per cylinder, NOT pushrods and 2 valves
2) Revs past 5500rpm without sounding like it is about to grenade
3) Has at least alloy heads, if not an alloy block

Anyone think of more reasons against a Commodore V6?
Don't get me wrong, dimensionally they are a compact unit for 3.8L but after runnin an OHC Gemini motor which everyone is used to revving hard, why would I go back to dinosaur power?

Cheers
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Workshop item Reply with quote

I must agree why make a Gem into a lead sled with the boat anchor v6, when all you need is a turbo and plumbing and easily get more bang for buck, with a lot less pain. and yes it will do the best part of 7000rpm and sound sweet!

4) weight over the front,
5) making the sump
6) slush box ( most v6's come with Auto's)

Cheers
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Workshop item Reply with quote

I seem to remember being 'canned' about suggesting this once before...

3) The V6 motors I know about actually have alloy heads AND block???

4) weight over the front??????!! They're a cylinder bank shorter!!

While I agree that it would not be as cost effective as other options, but you can pick up a damaged commodore wreck for less than a grand at the auctions. And anyone who values their own neck would have to consider a brake upgrade with any significant power increase, irrespective of the motor used. And I agree that the VN motors were harsh when revved, but that certainly changed with the VP motor, and ECOTEC motors are even smoother.

Could we hear from someone who's actually done the conversion for an opinion??

On a lighter note...anyone see the latest Street Machine magazine with the 5000i under the bonnet of an early Gem?

Yonnee.
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Workshop item Reply with quote

Race Gem,

The Como V6 is CAST IRON, I even walked out the front and checked the VT with a fkn Magnet.....and there is rust on the head,

OK if you have a Aloy V6 with twin cames that will fit with a manual box, I want to know what it is as I will be after on ASAP.

Cheers,
Eggy
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I stand corrected. Reply with quote

Been playing with a 3500cc Rover V8 into an LJ, got alloy on the brain. Sorry.
(and I own a V6 too....D'OH)

Yonnee.
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I stand corrected. Reply with quote

All clear Race Gem,

I could have sawn the Como's had cast iron but I did have too check before I dissed you,

cheers
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I stand corrected. Reply with quote

All clear Race Gem,

I could have sawn the Como's had cast iron but I did have too check before I dissed you,

cheers
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: I stand corrected. Reply with quote

I was once told by an engineer that the ecotec series engines differed greatly than their predecessors. He went so far to say that they even had a different block and heads. I dont know if there was any truth in it, but when an engineer tells you something you kinda take it as gospel. Do you know off hand if they are actually different ? Just a bit more trivia to add to my brain...
Cheers,
Jasyn...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: