HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Manual Conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 1:00 am    Post subject: Manual Conversion Reply with quote

ive recently got a auto gemini and have got a gemini 5speed manual to put into it. I was just wondering if the tailshaft are exactly the same and if there are any bitches involved in putting it in. Any info will be great
cheers
CopBait
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Conversion Reply with quote

u will need to get a manual tailshaft and obviously the pedal assembly, one thing u have to make sure of is that u remove the (now i think this is the right name) spiggot bearing from the rear of your motor, at the back of the crank, to build up pressure to remove that bearing i filled it with grease and then put in a 12mm socket with an extention and tapped it with a hammer and it just pops out after a few hits(yes i know its rough but hey, it worked for me). also there was a nut in the inlet manifold that had some sort of line that ran to the auto so i changed that over also(im not sure if it was necessary) and other than having to change the cog on the end of the speedo cable from the auto to manual and either changing the radiator or blocking off the return lines for the oil/auto cooler in your existing radiator then it is pretty straight forward. I no some of u blokes will probably disagree with a few things that i have said but i did all of this to my gem and she still runs like a dream so i cant be all bad, mate i hope this info hasn't confused u to much ok, cya.
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Conversion Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips buddy
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Conversion- spigot bearing Reply with quote

Actually Copbait, unless you have a $70 sigot bearing puller, it's about the only way of getting the bearing out.

I think you have to modify the hole in the tunnel a bit don't you, because they're a bit different from one to the other?
engagegra
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Conversion- spigot bearing Reply with quote

I converted (with a lot of help from my brother-in-law) my TD from auto to 5 speed manual in January. You will need to get a tailshaft for a manual. Make sure the spline (teeth) inside the tailshaft match up with your gearbox. 10 teeth on the old ones and 20 on the newer ones I think. Make sure you get the sping inside the sleeve of the tailshaft. The hole where your auto came through will have to be cut further up to the heater and you'll need some metal to cover up the lower part of the hole. You will also need to do some wiring to get your reverse lights working. On the conector next to the auto shifter you should have 2 red/blue wires and 2 black/white wires. The b/w wires are the inhibitor switch which have to be connected together. The r/blue are for the reverse and wire needs to be added to them to get them to the switch on your gearbox. I took mine through one of the gromets in the fire wall.
This is a list of other stuff I needed.

Flywheel
Speedo cable (auto is different)
New clutch and pressure plate.
release bearing (sometimes comes with the clutch kit)
bearing to rear of motor.
clutch cable

Dont know if your putting in a 5 or a 4 speed but I was told that the 5s tailshaft was shorter than the 4s. So taking the 4s tailshaft that I had from my donar car went to the wreckers to get one. All the 5s tailshfts they showed me were actually longer than the 4s. So at the moment I have the 4s tailshaft in place and it seems fine.
Hope this has helped and everything goes fine. Its the best thing I did to my Gem.
Gra.
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Conversion Reply with quote

I got the box and everytink in on the weekend and it only took 7 1/2 hours. everythink went smoothly apart from getting the spiggot out. if u are thinking of converting to a manual do it, it will be the best thing that u can do for your car and it makes it do fucken awsome burnouts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: