HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

door locks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wazza
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 1:56 am    Post subject: door locks Reply with quote

hey guys, just a small question
im aftera set of solex locks for my tg, i just wanted one for teh boot and one for the drivers door as i was planning on leaving the passenger door blank to make it a bit smoother as im planning on getting some work done soon, (rust removal and a respray, compliments of mum who backed into my car denting the rear end which needs panelbeating so i can replace the tail-light) i went into marlows, which is a big parts store i gather similar, autobarn or repco, and the book they had said that solex's were made for all models, except the tg, and that seemed wierd to me, it even specified teh tg van, but not sedan, so i was wondering if anyone has done this, or can tell me if the barrels are teh same throughout the models, it mentioned tf aswell, just not tg, so yeah if you can help me out ot would be much appreciated, or if ya could put me onto a place taht sells remote central locking kits fairly cheaply aswell, then i wont have to bother with new locks cos ill just get both doors blanked...
cheers in advance ladies and fellas
wazza
Poizon
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: door locks Reply with quote

only prob with solex is that they say they fit, but the boot lock has the catch 90 deg to the lock rather than a pin protruding straight from the lock as the normal one is.

I found the easiest way is to either put a solinoid in and smooth it over so there's no lock, and a boot pull for in the cabin.

Plus show locks are apparently illegal since they can't get you outta the car in time if you're in a bad crash...
(What a load of frogshit.. they're gonna just rip ya car open anyway....
Keith
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: door locks Reply with quote

I've fitted a set to my own TG. Part No. NUL1356
Keith
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: door locks Reply with quote

I've fitted a set to my own TG. Part No. NUL1356
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: door locks Reply with quote

I work for one of the other stores you mentioned and Im pretty sure there's no difference, at least TE-TG!
(im on holidays i cant look it up)
Couple of things to think about though:-
--These locks are designed, when fitted correctly, to deadlock. This means if someone tries to smash a window they are still not supposed to be able to unlock the door.
--These lock can be a Bitch to fit. You'll find if you ask a locksmith, they wont do it. Not that it's difficult, most just don't like charging 4 hours labour @$40p/h to do them. They're fiddly!
--That said, with patience and perseverance, it means every second Gemini key wont be able to open your doors anymore.
--Lastly, if you intend to have remote c/locking fitted, be very careful of 'deadlocking' the locks. Central locking actuators dont take too kindly to being held shut while trying to open!

Not a bad idea for the boot though. Some remote alarm systems have a boot release button for an electric solenoid. Maybe a cable operated system out of a hatchback? I'd even consider both, especially with no keyhole, cause if one played up, you still want to get into the boot!
Wazza
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: door locks Reply with quote

cheers for that guys,
yeah racegem i was planning on getting a remote boot release, like out of a vk or something, oh i didnt realise the whole deadlock thing, ill have to watch for that then im tempted to just go complete central, but as you said if that fouled up im pretty screwed cos ill have to break my own window or something.
so yeah i think ill get a set and then think abou teh central when i come to it, mabye ill just get a non-remote one and just use the keylock to actuate it.
and also with the solex's does the deadlock thing mean you have to lock teh door with teh key from teh outside everytime you leave it??
and yeah ive seen that gemini key thing, cept this was my mate using the key from his datto 120Y to open a gemini... kinda made me very worried, cos i know the old xf's used to be like that too...
and yeah thanx for that part no keith i might go pick some up next week...
thanx for tha help, tis much appreciated
wazza
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 9:50 pm    Post subject: not even Reply with quote

i have solex locks in my tg. i fitted them myself easy as!!!! and in the boot!! works fine if u ask me
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: door locks Reply with quote

its illegal to shave the door lock and or the door handle from the drivers side door
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: door locks Reply with quote

With the Solex locks, only if you wanted to "deadlock" the car do you have to use the key.

Not sure about the legality of removing your locks as I have seen a few cars without (Sony Xplod Wagon, The 'yellow' Gemini wagon at the Melb. Hot Rod show, also in current Street Machine), but you must have a mechanical way of getting into the the doors, so you have to replace the handles with something. Lotta work!
Wazza
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: door locks Reply with quote

cheers guys once again...
thanx for that tip gene, and racgem, co si dont really wanna have anything obiously illegal on the car, so looks like ill be keeping the drivers side lock...
now i just have to go out and buy some and give fitting them a go, i think ill do it soon cos i dont really need my car right atm, and i have anotehr to drive anyways if i do, so yeah thanx for all teh help everyone..
cheers
wazza
mattmillz
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: not even Reply with quote

I would have to say the same. my td wagon tailgate has a solex lock and it works fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: