HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

pollution garbage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Getafix
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 5:17 pm    Post subject: pollution garbage Reply with quote

my TF (not sure how far back this goes) has got fitted the exhaust gas recirculation bullshit, where exhaust gasses go back into the combustion chamber. Has anyone taken this crap off before (I want to) and if so have they had problems with the engine overheating (gregory's hand-book says it helps to keep the temp down as it doesnt burn etc). If any of you have, let me know how it went,

thanks

PS do the exhaust gas recirculation manifold ports go directly into the cylinders and if so can they be used for direct port nitrous systems? Smile (not joking)
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: pollution garbage Reply with quote

I have an 82 TF as well, there are a few systems in place.

1. The copper pipe running from your exhaust manifold round behind the block to the inlet manifold under the carb.
Can't be used for anything else, when installing extractors most people just block this off. Useless device which simply heats up the inlet charge, decreasing efficiency slightly.

2. Fresh air injectors into exhaust ports. Simply sucks air from the inlet manifold and pumps it into the ports to make the exhaust cleaner. A dodgy device which uses a tiny amount of engine power, and IMHO defeats its own purpose.
Can't be used for any other means, good idea to remove it completely (or block the bleed lines), unless you live in Naziland (VIC and others) and you don't want to risk the constabulary and yellow canaries.

The only way I can see the temp would be kept down is by cooling the exhaust gases. Many modern motorcycles have a similar setup but I believe those systems are much more efficient. The cooling effect would be negligible and I am surprised Gregory's would say such a stupid thing. Nothing cools an engine like a properly maintained and adequate cooling system.

Both systems are disconnected on mine, yielding a bees dick extra poke, just piece of mind the engine isn't running any ancilliaries it doesn't need to.

Cheers
Slug
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: pollution garbage Reply with quote

You forgot the most important thing .. BOTH systems are only in operation when your foot is *OFF* the accelerator.. So much for that neck braking horse power gain Smile .... Michael

BTW the cooling affect has nothing to do with the water temp is there to lower NO's in the exhaust...
Woz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: pollution garbage Reply with quote

or you can be realy, realy cool an put another row of spark plugs (just steal the ones for your dads lawnmower) in the exhaust oxygen injection holes and make your engine an 8.

all you need to do with the disconnected hose from your air pump now is push it into your standard air filter inlet hole and youve got yourself a real cool supercharger.

low 9's for sure Smile

-Woz
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: pollution garbage Reply with quote

Off the accellerator? Well, the pump keeps pumpin but anyways they are both useless Smile

The cooling I was thinking about was the fresh/cooler air that it pumps into the exhaust ports, and the fact that the exhaust would be cooled slightly but nearly nada. I realise the oringinal purpose was to clean emissions.

Makes me wonder how you would go about passing a g200 EFI which doesn't have any pollution gear. Do they test the car for emissions or do they just say "stiff shit, you ain't got no stupid devices to reduce emissions". You'd feel like turning around and saying "fuck you, I built my engine to run clean, fool, notice the EFI?"

Cheers
Slug
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: pollution garbage Reply with quote

Of course they test for emissions, the differance is you can tune an EFI to do EXACTLY what you need, eg lean on deceleration, enrichen the mixture when cold but only up till 1500 RPM etc etc, you cant do that with a carby hence the polution shit Smile ... Michael
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 5:30 am    Post subject: use this Reply with quote

i used spark plugs on mine, broke the end off, filled them with bog and then rubbed them down and painted them. looks a treat!
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: pollution garbage Reply with quote

Exactly the info I need, thanx Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: