HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Fuel pump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
engagegra
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 4:14 am    Post subject: Fuel pump Reply with quote

Hey guys just need some info on fuel pumps. At the moment the pump in the tank on my TD is not being used. It was like that when I bought it and the previous owners put in another one on the floor of the boot near the tank. Every time I start the car there is a ticking noise from the pump.
I would like to replace the one on the tank and get rid of the other one. Is this possible? Are there any problems doing it? And how much would I expect to pay for one at the wreckers? I know there are at least 2 at my local wreckers.
Or should I just leave it alone cause it seems to work ok. Its just the dam ticking I'd like to stop.
All answers apreciated.
thanks.
Gra
LoneWolf_
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump Reply with quote

The ticking noise you describe is the fuel pump doing it's job. Personally, I have found these more reliable than the original ones. You can make them virtually quiet by mounting a small piece of rubber at each mount point, aternatively, mounting a larger piece of rubber under the whole pump.

Can't help you with the other, sorry.
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump Reply with quote

I agree with lonewolf, gemini in-tank pumps are unreliable at best... rubber mount the external pump, make sure it stops pumping if the engine stalls (if you crash and are trapped in your car, you'll thank me for this), and replace the factory in-tank pump with a pick-up from a TF/TG.
Woz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump Reply with quote

aaahhh, now i understand why the fuel pump only really runs when the alternator is spinning and not off the ign.

cool.
engagegra
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys. I will try the rubber and see if that helps.
Gra
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: