HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Motor & Gearbox

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CopBait
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 5:38 am    Post subject: Motor & Gearbox Reply with quote

Hey all, i have just pulled out the motor and box from my gem, am converting it to a manual this week, but i was thinking, while the motor is out, i should ask around and see what motors i can get for it cheap...just for a little bit more get up and go! Can you tell me (and i know im probably dreamin) if i can get any replacement engines, non EFi, for under $1000? i have a japaneese importer here in shepparton, and he brings in a lot of half cuts, but what should i be asking for? Just any ideas would help....i can also do the work that is needed myself. Thanks
RJM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Motor & Gearbox Reply with quote

Get a series 5 rx7 13b turbo and 5 speed box.
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor & Gearbox Reply with quote

Not for that kind of money you won't!

Besides, putting a 13B in a Gemini requires an amount of engineering to register in Victoria.
joey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor & Gearbox Reply with quote

get a 202! they're non efi, they're piss easy to work on, parts are cheap and easy to get, and have a look at andrews red unit in race galleries. Go the aussie i say
Woz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor & Gearbox Reply with quote

i hate pushrods.

period.
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor & Gearbox Reply with quote

Iron head, non-cross flow, pushrods, heavy... the 202 is not a good engine, it isn't even a mediocre engine, it was an anachronism in the VB commodore, why would you fit one?

The heads are incredibly lousy, the blocks weigh about as much as a gemini... lead-tipped arrow...

Now... go on, who wants to be the one to say "yeah but my mate's sister's aunty's next-door-neighbour's best-friend's ex-husband's brother-in-law got XXX horsepower out of his 202 in his Torana/Kingswood/Commodore/Ski-boat?
RJM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Motor & Gearbox Reply with quote

Yeah its more like $3000. Just an idea.
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor & Gearbox Reply with quote

Not to mention the lots of work to even get one to fit, then there's the fact that it would also be illegal without lots of engineering. Also it would handle like the QE2
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Motor & Gearbox Reply with quote

Not much point getting an import engine, you wont be able to fit anything for under $1000.

Best bet would be to try and get a G200, bolt straight in, and will be under budget.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: