HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

exhaust in cabin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEM2NV
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 3:08 am    Post subject: exhaust in cabin Reply with quote

i know this has been covered before but after searching it didnt really help me out.
sometime while driving i get the smell of exhaust in the cabin, so much so that i basically have to have my window open all the time so i dont kill myself Smile. anyway i was wondering where it coukd be coming from, i also get alot of splatters of oil on the bonnet above the rear of the rocker cover which i think is possibly caused by the gasket not being sealed up properly but im not 100%. could the smoke be coming out of the rocker cover and then into the cabin through holes in the firewall?
also is the breather hose the the hose coming out of the rear top of the rocker cover?? this may be another culprit.what exactly does that do anyway cos ive seen some gems with small filters in the hoses place.

lastly i know this is a gay question but is there a way u can change the oil without draining it thorugh the sump plug. my sump plug was threaded so i had to seal it up permanently due to lack of funds for a new sump. i think someone told me of a pump that drains the oil out through the dipstick. is that true??
thanks guys
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust in cabin Reply with quote

how can u drain oil from something higher than the sump? Drill a 1/4 inch hole and plug it up with bubble gum.
Tooleeda
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 3:42 am    Post subject: Check boot seal Reply with quote

It sounds weird but if the boot is open, the fumes can be sucked into the cabin from the tail pipe. Check and renew the boot seal. Other than that, check the firewalls for holes, and the exhaust manifold gaskets - that is the only way you'd be getting stuff from the engine bay.
Rocker cover gaskest can be a slunt sometimes, get a new one and have a go at replacing it - 4 bolts after you remove the air cleaner. Make sure the rubber D-shape seals are present in the mating surface of the head and rocker cover - they leak alot when left out. Use a small amount of gasket sealer on all mating surfaces.
Make sure the big rubber hose at the back of the rocker cover is connected properly to the air cleaner. You can get filters for them that look okay, but are illegal because they vent crank gasses to the air.
Tooleeda
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 3:42 am    Post subject: Check boot seal Reply with quote

It sounds weird but if the boot is open, the fumes can be sucked into the cabin from the tail pipe. Check and renew the boot seal. Other than that, check the firewalls for holes, and the exhaust manifold gaskets - that is the only way you'd be getting stuff from the engine bay.
Rocker cover gaskest can be a slunt sometimes, get a new one and have a go at replacing it - 4 bolts after you remove the air cleaner. Make sure the rubber D-shape seals are present in the mating surface of the head and rocker cover - they leak alot when left out. Use a small amount of gasket sealer on all mating surfaces.
Make sure the big rubber hose at the back of the rocker cover is connected properly to the air cleaner. You can get filters for them that look okay, but are illegal because they vent crank gasses to the air.
Tooleeda
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust in cabin Reply with quote

Crap I forgot.
Check the seals around the gear sitck and the trans tunnel(manual) I dont know what autos have.
TG 1985
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust in cabin Reply with quote

my mate had the same problem wit his alfa romeo, turned out to be the muffler, got new muffler, standard for an alfa cost him $700, and problem was fixed, but that car is always full of problems. shittest cars i reckon any car manufacturer has made.

chris.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: