HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Gypsy Panelvan Information

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEMGEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 5:28 am    Post subject: Gypsy Panelvan Information Reply with quote

Just picked up a te gemini panelvan, is ment to be a gypsy panelvan that had the tacho dash etc: does any body know if there is a way of confirming it to be a gypsy panel van, are they common (rare?)for a good one?
Dave
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Gypsy Panelvan Information Reply with quote

Dude, the Gypsy is rare-as.

Unfortunately, I was never able to source option numbers for the Gyspy, but this is what I managed to scour up and put in my Gemini History article.

Gypsy
A special edition of the panelvan was introduced during the TD-model’s production run. Designed to cash in on the budding craze for hot vans during the mid-to-late ‘70s (something the Kingswood Sandman did with success), the Gypsy van special edition had a few extra niceties to smooth the rough edges of the stock panelvan. Included with the Gypsy was unique pinstriping that integrated the word ‘Gypsy’ just aft of the doors. In the dashboard, the Gypsy received a tachometer where the blank would normally be found. The whole instrument binnacle was imported, as the standard Holden binnacle has no facility for including a tachometer. The gear stick surround was also included, and instead of the storage bin above the shifter, a clock, amps and oil gauges were fitted, also sourced from Isuzu.

Also, if the seats are standard Gemini seats, rather than the panelvan's extra-flat items that were originally offered, then that could be an indication. However, most panelvans have had the original seats replaced by now - mine did and mine was pretty original.

Hope it helps a little bit.

I hope one day I'm able to find a Gemini Gypsy brochure, if there is such a thing. It would clear up heaps of problems!
GEMGEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Gypsy Panelvan Information Reply with quote

Thanks Dave!
Apparently the people i got it off only bought it for the dash etc, Ive bought it pretty much for the shell, theres nomotor, dash or anything, but I alrady have a tacho dash for it the panels are really straight especially the quarters which on my wagon I have had to bloody sculpture in to shape, the roof did not have any roofracks ( thank god) and it will be a good project later on down the track, its a TE front though ?? what did you mean by TD, my girlfriends car is a 79 TE so maybe this is like that> Looking in the Gregorys manual at the TE Gypsy Panelvan it has the TE Grill and the stripes look identical, it looks like its been painted though so no Gypsy sticker near the doors and seats , I got him to throw in a set off unripped Sandpiper Seats! So from what you are saying it is worth playing with the panelvan as there arent anywhere near as many as sedans especially TE's going round!
All the best!
Dave
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Gypsy Panelvan Information Reply with quote

Sorry mate, to clear up some stuff.

As far as I recall, the TD Gemini Gypsy was a 'special edition' wheras the TE Gemini Gypsy was a 'regular production model'. More or less. The only photos I've seen are of TEs.

It's probably fair to say that all TD panelvans left the factory nearly identical, and if somebody ticked the Gypsy option-box, all hands went on-deck at the dealership to put on some stickers and perhaps the dials too.

I'd dare say that TE Gypsies went down the line as a Gypsy, and thus were probably fitted with dials and square headlights from the outset, rather than being 'converted'.

To explain that, while all TD panelvans had round headlights (unlike the sedan, coupe and wagon, which had square ones), the base-model TE panelvan had round headlights and the TE Gypsy had the Gemini SL and SL/X front - that's the one with square lights.

Personally, I'd do the van - they look killer and certainly have a rare-factor to them these days - there are hardly any about! Then again, with an email address like mine, I would tell you to do that, wouldn't I? Wink

Cheers
Dave
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Gypsy Panelvan Information Reply with quote

I've got one, single, solitary photo of a TE Gemini Gypsy. Give us your email address and I'll send it to you.

Cheers
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Gypsy Panelvan Information Reply with quote

hey dude just read the compliance plate my te wagon was a gemini gypsy panel van they also had no side windows
Dave
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Gypsy Panelvan Information Reply with quote

Most panelvans had no side windows.

Side windows (ie wagon windows) were an option for all panelvans.

The RAA in South Australia had a fleet of panelvans with windows - you'll find most South Australian pannos with windows were originally yellow!

Are you saying you've got a TE wagon that was a panelvan; a Gypsy no less?
GEMGEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Gypsy Panelvan Information Reply with quote

My adress is vladgem@yahoo.com thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: