HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

trouble's with my tc....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ByteMe22
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 2:28 pm    Post subject: trouble's with my tc.... Reply with quote

i have a tc gemini and i have a loud knocking sound from them back of the car when i turn corners my friend says its the diff. is this true if so how do you fix it???

i also have a problem with the battery not holdding charge. it is a brand new barrtey but it wont hold charge. when i start the car the charge, oil, and park brake lights stay on at all. the only way i can get the battery to hold charge is to take the negaitve off the battery b4 i turn the car off... what could be the prob?????
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: trouble's with my tc.... Reply with quote

i have a mate who had the same problem... he left the amps for his sound system plugged on to power direct from the battery (instead of using the remote wire) and it drained his battery

thing that happened to my sister was the switch for her brake lights was gettign stuck and draining her battery real quick... its pretty hard to notice if your brake lights are on when u leave the car unless its dark so yeah try both of them...
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: trouble's with my tc.... Reply with quote

oh yeah and my neighbours dogs uncles cousins canary's pet parrots friend had a similar problem.. he put a wire going fromn the postive to the negative on the battery so it would never run out.
ByteMe22
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: trouble's with my tc.... Reply with quote

nup none of them... the brake lights work fine and I haven't put my stereo in yet so that cant be draining my power any other suggestions?? ill try nething just want it fixed!!.
engagegra
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: trouble's with my tc.... Reply with quote

If its a new battery and not holding a charge it might mean that you have a faulty alternator which needs overhauling or renewing. First check your alternator drive belt, that may need adjusting or replacing. Hope it the latter.
GT
Bugle
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: trouble's with my tc.... Reply with quote

I had a loud knocking sound at the back of my car, a little bit after that the tailshaft fell out
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: trouble's with my tc.... Reply with quote

You've gotta watch those pesky suckers, the bolts in my TX connecting the torque tube and diff fell out.
I didn't lose the shaft, luckily, but I did suffer the death vibes from the rear and lost all the oil out of the diff.
ByteMe22
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: trouble's with my tc.... Reply with quote

where abouts are the bolts i will have a look to see if thats what it is...
ByteMe22
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: trouble's with my tc.... Reply with quote

the alternator works fine... i can run the car without the battery once it has been started. and i checked it with my multimeter and i said it was outputting and 13.sumthin volts.. what else could it be???
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 4:51 pm    Post subject: power drain Reply with quote

U have something draining ur power with the ignition off. ie, a boot light, or something u have wired in that runs on a constant feed. When u connect the battery, if there is a little spark then something is draining power. Getit in to an auto elec if ur not sure because batteries don't like to be drained flat too often.
ByteMe22
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: power drain Reply with quote

yeah there is a little spark when i reconnect the battery... ok i didnt want to but i guess it will have to go to the auto elec... bit worried about driving it with all that noise from the back...
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: trouble's with my tc.... Reply with quote

The torque tube is the rigid shaft (no jokes Wink that pivots from the centre of the car back to the diff. The tube bolts using 4 allen key bolts to the diff housing. If this comes loose, it thumps over bumps. As I said in the other post, oil can exit here.

The torque tube is either round steel or cast aluminium. The round steel ones were found on TX, not sure about TC or TD but the later models were cast aluminium. The diff housing is of course steel.

See if that helps Smile
ByteMe22
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: trouble's with my tc.... Reply with quote

thanx ill check that out tonight... provided the rain stays away!!! i thought this was summer!!!!
Bugle
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: trouble's with my tc.... Reply with quote

Did the bitch spin around and dent the tailshaft tunnel?
It happend to me on my piazza which doesn't have a torque tube and it put a few dents in the tunnel as it spun round!
I'd hate to think what would happen if it fell off at the gearbox since you wouldnt be able to stop it spinning until the car stops
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: