HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Hi-Clones...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muddy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 4:56 am    Post subject: Hi-Clones... Reply with quote

Oi!
Any of you mob tried using a hi-clone in your run-of-the-mill-goonerberry-stock-carby? Did you notice any increase in grunt or fuel economy? Been thinking of buying one. regards, Muddy, the gemmiest mudskipper
RJM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Hi-Clones... Reply with quote

I doubt it will increase performance surely it will lower the air speed into the carby. I imagine it will save some fuel due to making the carby more restrictive.

Having said that I've never used one, you would be better off getting a weber or holley carb instead of the nikki if you want more grunt.

Does that help?
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi-Clones... Reply with quote

Always be dubious of these types of gimmicks, I've seen a few tests on these and all of the cars dropped power.

Has anyone seen those 'Electronic Superchargers'? All they are is an electric fan ( about the size of the fan in you computer) placed before the throttle body. Think about it......
Muddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Hi-Clones... Reply with quote

Matman, thanx for the reply. For me man, grunt is really secondary (sin!) it's economy I'm after, but I'm too f*ckin' stubborn (or stupid) to give up my gemmy for some slick-plastic-21st-centurymobile. You may be right, but you might like to check out their test run results and stuff at their website, www.hicloneqld.com/ regards, Muddy
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi-Clones... Reply with quote

One word: bullsh!t

These things are just like the exhaust tip that is supposed to save you $$ in fuel. Fair enough, increasing the backpressure will allow the engine to maybe use less fuel, but you will drop in power.

Something we have missed; in many cases, economy follows power. My economy increased after fitting a 32/36 DGV Weber, so did the power.

Think about it, your car makes more power, therefore it climbs hills and such more easily, you don't have to sink the boot as hard. Your engine makes more torque and more power for pretty much the same amount of fuel. The tricky bit is getting the jetting right, but even that ain't too hard, a bit of trial and error.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: