HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Electronic igition

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RJM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 5:31 am    Post subject: Electronic igition Reply with quote

G'day just wondering if any one has attempted to convert a stock gemini dizzy to use a electronic ignition control unit to handle the advance, ie stopping the mechanical advance all together. If anyone has had any luck doing this plz reply! Thanks.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic igition Reply with quote

hey the dizzy is acuatly vacum advanced but yeah you can convert them to electric dizzy i got a kit for $250 pluss fitting and regraphing
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic igition Reply with quote

What's the advantage of electronic ignition?
FrAsErTaG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic igition Reply with quote

No points
High RPM
and if u get the kits you can have a keypad in the car and set the advance and dwell and shit in a second just by hitting some buttons
micka

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic igition Reply with quote

Any performance gains with the electronic or is it purely easier? do ya need a different coil?
RJM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic igition Reply with quote

Yeah electric igintion is more accurate timing and means no more burn points. You could also screw with amount of advance dwell angles etc with out regrafting the dizzy or shit like that. It well worth doing I reckon, just have to
stop the stock dizzy from mechanically advancing and fit the rest of the electrical gear.
Not a great deal of point on a stock motor though.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic igition Reply with quote

yeah and now point bounce and yes it does have its advantages ona stock motor as the timing is really conservetive due to pollution? wats pollution? heheh
tigermm
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic igition Reply with quote

Are you using the jaycar HEI kit and programmable ignition?
I had a tinker with that a while back. Only thing was that I had to get a rotor made, but that wasnt too hard.
Then I went to put the bloody thing in and it keeps retarding the timing, not advancing it, SHIT!!
So thats where it stands at the moment, now that you mention it I might go have a play today.
All I did to lock the dizzy was pull it to bits, take out the weights and put the springs back in, cos no weights means no mechanical advance.
If youre using the jaycar kit then you need to lock it at full advance, which is a bit more tricky (if I remember right), so I just locked mine at 0 advance and advanced it more with base timing, which I think should be the same (or could be my problem, I dunno)

Hope this helps, lemme know how you go.
Cheers Michael
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2002 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic igition Reply with quote

What's the advantage of electronic ignition? <--- Well EVLGEM knocked a second off his 1/4 mile time after getting his dizzy converted to electric ignition
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic igition Reply with quote

dik more like 2 tenths and consistent times
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: