HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Quad Throttle Bodies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2002 9:02 pm    Post subject: Quad Throttle Bodies Reply with quote

Having my mind set on efi for my future engine, what do people think about a quad throttle body setup on a gemmi? Ive been giving it a lot of thought recently, and wondering how it would go and what other people think about this idea? If it were done properly (ported&polished to the manifold/throttle bodies with trumpets etc..) and put on a 1.8l bottom end would this give me enough grunt to play with, beat your average fuckwit VL P-plate driver and still get me back and forth to uni everyday? I assume this would be the ultimate in n/a engines, just how much power can you pull from a setup like this?

Is it going to be worth it in the end or should i just get a 15psi hairdryer?
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2002 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Quad Throttle Bodies Reply with quote

Quad throttle bodies are the ducks guts for N/A engines mainly due the responsiveness offered by the setup.
As good as they, to set them up and tune them properly will be expensive, and in my opionion, the money would be better spent on a good turbo/intercoooler combo, which if well thought will give excellent drivability and definately more power potential than an N/A engine. Don't get me wrong, multiple throttles are great and I know that everyone wants to be different but if you want BFYB ( Bang For Your Buck ) than get a hairdryer.

BTW - If all you want to do is beat VL driving dorks, than just whack a webber on the 1.8 and get a decent cam and head work and theres no reason why you couldn't whip a VL's arse
FYI - Standard VL's do 17.0 or so.
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Quad Throttle Bodies Reply with quote

A quad throttle gem would be pretty cool though Smile
gem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2002 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Quad Throttle Bodies Reply with quote

I have quad throttle bodies on my twin cam Gem race car.They are definately better than running a single throttle body.On wide open throttle the engine will be basically the same as twin 45 webbers, so if you know of someone with this setup it will be similar.
You can look at my web page if you like www.alphalink.com.au/~gem My old race car had twin 45's then I put fuel injection on it single throttle and now my other car has quad throttles.Also I have not had any problems setting them up as long as you use throttle mapping on your efi computer.
Woz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2002 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Quad Throttle Bodies Reply with quote

...so do you suggest this over turbo?

still not sure weather to go efi turbo or efi n/a.
Tooleeda
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2002 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Quad Throttle Bodies Reply with quote

Turbos are relatively simple and cheap. To make the same power N/A (especially from a gemini head) you would need to spend some serious dollars on machining and port work.
Since it wont be legal anyway, why not go twin carbs?
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2002 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Quad Throttle Bodies Reply with quote

Anythings legal as long as you have the engineerer's repoort to go with it.
Woz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Quad Throttle Bodies Reply with quote

wots the point of having this car that youve spent thousands on for an engineers report, when the fact is most of the time youll encounter the cops because you were speeding, dragging cars off or doing burnouts???

theyll be giving you unroadworthies anyway.
gem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Quad Throttle Bodies Reply with quote

Quad throttles and turbos are two totally different things.Basically the engine is going to make as much power as the head will flow in N/A form, so if your head is good for 80hp having quads will not make any more power if a single throttle is capable of flowing the right amount of air.Where as with a turbo as I understand You can wind up the boost to get more power
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Quad Throttle Bodies Reply with quote

The whole point off engineer's reports is so you have proof that the car is roadworthy. if they give you an unroadworthy after they have seen the certificate then take em to court.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: