HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

gemi coupe v6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
serbpride
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 11:04 pm    Post subject: gemi coupe v6 Reply with quote

i am wanting 2 put the v6 engine from a vn adn the four speed auto in my gemini, would these go in easy without ne truoble,a dn wat quater mile time could i get with this
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: gemi coupe v6 Reply with quote

Lotsa money
Lotsa hassle
Lotsa time
Lotsa modifications

Methinks use a manual box, the transmission tunnel would need to be modified to fit the BIG 4spd auto.

Quarter mile time would be dependent on rear end setup. I wouldn't discount 13s on a good setup, but that would be the ecotech supercharged v6.

In the meantime, get a g200 and do that up to the hilt, maybe turbo it later. Muuuuuuch less hassle.
Dave
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: gemi coupe v6 Reply with quote

That's all true, but it'll probably be worth it. A Gemini coupe V6? That's fairly unique. It's been done before, sure, but not all THAT often. The likelihood of lining up another V6 Gemini will be pretty slim. In fact, the odds of lining up something that can beat you will be about one in ten, I reckon.

Don't go the VN V6 - they're a fairly crappy engine with some inherint, unavoidable problems.

If you can, try to go for a VN series II (also known as VP engine) or better still a VS-onwards Ecotec. They use less fuel and generate more power - that's a win-win.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that an Ecotec V6 would use a lot less fuel than a G200 Gemini engine. I did a trip of about 300km in my car - a 1600cc with Weber, no hot cam (at the time) and a 4-speed (again, at the time) and used what seemed like about $20 in fuel. Could have been $15. My mates VN 5-speed used about $7 - a VS even less, probably.

From what i hear, the Commodore 5-speed will fit into a TC-onwards trans tunnel with no cutting (TX auto trans tunnel should be OK too) - I haven't done this myself (yet) but it sounds feasable. The 4-speed auto is a lot bigger and what's more, it's an auto. Gay.

Castlemaine Rod Shop and V6 Conversions both supply kits to fit V6s to Geminis - although I've heard varying reports on the quality of the kits from "It bolted together like it was made for it" to "I basically had to refabricate the whole thing and it wasn't worth the metal it was made from". So look into that.

If you do this, a Gemini rear end is going to be the last thing you want back there. You'll be twisting and popping torque tubes like they're going out of fashion (amazing, because they already ARE out of fashion). You're best bet would be to source a VN onwards Commodore live rear end. This will have discs up the back and will be easy to convert to LSD, if it isn't already. There's a lot of work involved in converting the Gemmi's rear end to take the upper and lower control arms, but it'll be worth it when you can bag up two fat black lines at about 3000rpm.

Good luck.
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: gemi coupe v6 Reply with quote

I know of one with a modified Trimatic (higher stall converter and what have you) but standard V6 with extractors and RamFlo Pod filter and it cut a 12.9.

Just be aware that your handling will prolly be shot to shit with all that weight over the front wheels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: