HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Cracking noise

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEM2NV
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 11:11 pm    Post subject: Cracking noise Reply with quote

hey dudes,
lately my gems been making a wierd cracking noise some down near the pedals for no apparent reasons. Does this have something to do with bearing or some shit like that. How much to fix it?
Nick
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cracking noise Reply with quote

when youre changing gears or just normal driving?
GEM2NV
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Cracking noise Reply with quote

just normal driving maybe when im turning or putting the brakes on
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Cracking noise Reply with quote

I noticed a similar thing with my TX. Turns out there are a couple of bolts in your crossmember which are hard to find (and in a location right underneath) which loosen up. This was discovered by a local mechanic (Peter March) who has had a million years experience with early Holdens. He says this noise is common in Geminis.

When these bolts loosen, under braking something shifts ever so slightly and causes the clunk/crack/bump. Jump under the car and check every single bolt on your front end and crossmember. Give everything a tighten that needs tightening and see if that helps.

I am not guaranteeing It will help but that is what was wrong with mine Smile
Mal
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Cracking noise Reply with quote

Yeah I had the same trouble it ended up being my lower inner and upper inner bushes. Your whole shock tower flexs and front suspension moves cause the bushes are stuffed and makes it crack and bounce.
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cracking noise Reply with quote

WOOOHOOO, solved!!!! finally, must be it... only started when I fitted my polyurethane suspension (can anyone say "increased suspension loadings beyond factory design expectations")... for the $1 (what can I say, I am bankrupt) bonus prize, what the hell is the similar clunk coming from around where the left hand trailing attaches the body??
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cracking noise Reply with quote

Are you referring to the small subframe extension that attaches just near the tranny tunnel? If so, I have seen 2 Gems crack through there, only very lightly. Mine did but I had it properly welded up and after another 2 years of hard driving she didn't crack again.

I am a little worried about the flexing that Mal discovered.
I might put a shock tower brace of some sort on my TF, maybe one that attaches at the firewall too.
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2002 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cracking noise Reply with quote

Mine makes that cracking noise, i thought it was my lower control arm bush's and ball joints so i replaces them with nothanes and it is still there... Where about are these bolt for the front end? I couldnt see anything that i could get a spanner or socket on to? I thought gemini front end's were welded on? any ideas?

thanks Josh
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: