HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

mystery fuel pumps

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ellrollo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 7:36 pm    Post subject: mystery fuel pumps Reply with quote

whilst screwing with my TD wagon today it stopped working. after a bit of stuffing aroung trying figure out what i had done i noticed whilst the engine was cranking off the battery, fuel was coming up through the fuel filter into the float chamber, witch is just what i guess you would want. BUT THEN.. once the engine is running the fuel retracts through the filter and the engine uses up whats left in the float chamber and then it stops.

so anyway i thought this must be due to the fuel pump, witch on my vehicle is not mounted where it's meant to be. i think on most gemmys its at the front of the motor with a arm that works off the camshaft, but on my car its not. I can see where its meant to be, but its not?!?!?!

can one of u gemmyfiles please tell me where it is and wether the fuel pump would be the problem please? help will be most appreciated.

This site is FANTASTIC!!!
Fastgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: mystery fuel pumps Reply with quote

The pump is probably inside the fuel tank
ellrollo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: mystery fuel pumps Reply with quote

thanx. has anyone had to replace an electric fuel pump from inside the tank???
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: mystery fuel pumps Reply with quote

Yes, pretty easy, it is the big round thing in the middle at the back of the fuel tank, with the fuel level BELOW the height of the pump, unscrew the pump, remove it, fit new one.
Dave
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2001 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: mystery fuel pumps Reply with quote

The alternative is that you have a stuffed regulator. It's a little box that sits right near the battery. When the engine is started, the fuel pump runs of the alternator, then the regulator switches it over to running off the battery once the engine is running. OK, it might be the other way around, but whatever it is, when the regulator dies, it doesn't do the switching of power sources and the car runs out of juice and dies. You start it again, it runs again, it dies again.

Get a new regulator - they're about $70 new, I think.

If it is the fuel pump, and you own a wagon, it's piss easy to change the pump because it's in the top of the tank. It's only sedans and coupes where you need to drain the fuel until it is below the height of the pump.

Cheers - hope it you've worked it out before now anyway.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: