HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Engine Conversions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEM90D
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 4:12 pm    Post subject: Engine Conversions Reply with quote

Hey,
Just wondering what you guys think is the easiest and cheapest engine conversion that will definatly go better than the stock 1600? car is a 1984 TG sedan.

Suggestions appreciated.
Cheers,
Ryan.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Conversions Reply with quote

Cheapest and easiest would have to be a second hand G200, i've seen them go for about $500, and they bolt in without any mods, they only require some bits off the 1600 engine such as engine mounts.

Really depends on how fast you want to go though.

Ben Wight
GEM90D
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Conversions Reply with quote

I dont want my car for drags -- i just want to be able to beat civics at the lights. They piss me off so much..!!
Are G200's fairly easy to do mods too? Are they definatly worth the conversion?
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Conversions Reply with quote

Just as easy to modify as any G160, I would presume.
Put it this way -
$1000 to spend ?
For a 1.6
-Webber
-Extractors
-2" Exhaust
-Cam
Performance? Up from 50kw to probably 65kw or so.

OR

By a G200 for $1000 (less actually) and woop arse over the 1.6 with HEAPS more torque. Since your only 15 years old, a standard G200 (maybe throw on a second set of TX extractors and 2 1/4" exhaust) will be plenty for ya. Hell, that it'd be plenty for me!
GEM90D
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Conversions Reply with quote

how much power DO g200's produce?
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 5:44 pm    Post subject: Just did a G200 convers. Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Just finished a G200 conversion. Relatively straight forward. You need the 1600 sump, and engine mounts. All other things are the same. We had to modify the bracket from the block to the gearbox so we could put the oil temp sender in. This is where it was in the previous car obviously and we couldn't get the screw in bungs out of the other 3 outlet points. The motor was in and painted so it was easier to modify the bracket.

In terms of power, It has 107Kw at the flywheel. Not heaps but not that bad when the car weighs 1020Kg with me in it. about the same power/weight as a VS ecotec. The longer stroke of the G200 helps torque output.

It uses a big valve (42mm and 38mm as opposed to my old 1600's 38 and 36!) 1800 head, ported to flow 160hp and air speed of 300ish. The cam is a crow and off hand at the minute can't remember specs, it's lumpy as shit though, advertised to make power from 3000-6500. It also has double valve springs.

Bottom end is bored 40thou, ACL Duralite pistons, ACL rings and bearings. resized rod bolts, fully balanced including a "micro balance." I had to get the pistons fly cut to give enough valve clearance - the block was decked 15thou and the head 20thou. Compression ratio is approx 10.1:1 and as a result it runs on straight avgas. Carby atm is a 34 ADM Weber off a leaded XF Falcon. Gases exit via Genie extractors and a 2 1/4 system. I haven't finished running it in butit sounds very strong.

All up it's probably cost me close to $3000. Not that much really but you would see about 90Kw for $2000 i reckon. Depends on what you do to it. Use a desktop dyno to play with cams etc. Find a mechanic who has one and get them to do some research for you.

Hope this is useful for you (?)
Cheers
Adam
GEM90D
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Just did a G200 convers. Reply with quote

Thanks for that , it was really usefull. That just about solves it for me tho , G200 is what i will be doing for sure. 107kW @ the flywheel is alot better than what the 1600 makes, thats for sure.
BADGEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Conversions Reply with quote

Whats a G200???
Fastgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2001 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Conversions Reply with quote

the 2 liter version of the g161
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: