HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

shortened shifters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helmet
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 7:21 pm    Post subject: shortened shifters Reply with quote

Does anyone kwow if the shifter off a four speed is the same as a five speed

Thanx
Fastgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: shortened shifters Reply with quote

yeah, there the same.
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: shortened shifters Reply with quote

Be careful, mine wasn't.
From memory the 4spd had 4 bolts holting the shifter in and the 5spd had 3. Anyone know what box mine is then?? I thought it was std Gem.

If you intend on shortening the gearstick (as per subject), I say go for it Smile
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: shortened shifters Reply with quote

No they're not the same. The 5 speed ones have a small dowell coming of the ball thing that sits in the box. If you put in a 4 speed stick then you will finf that you can turn it around. It needs the dowell to centre it and hold it in the right place.
Sparrow
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: shortened shifters Reply with quote

yeah...
....some boxes vary from model to model...i had an early model, '75 TX four speed and the ball on the bottom of the stick was back the front...but i've have a different stick from a later model four speed that fit into at least four other five speed boxes and worked fine ... (very confusing...four/five)
anyway...i would suggest that if you are going to change sticks...change the quad-box (stick housing bit on top of the box) with the stick that suits it...and cut a new gasket while you're there...
TX III
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: shortened shifters Reply with quote

to shorten, do u suggest just cut it off with a hacksaw?? thats the pnly way i can think of?
Fastgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: shortened shifters Reply with quote

Have a 4 speed quadrant box on my shuttle 5 speed with a ZZ/Z shortend shifter working fine. Just checked a chrome 4 speed shifter (out of i think a TE/TF) and a stock 4 speed shifter from a tg and they both fit my spare 5 speeds (one is coarse the other a fine spline) so yeah, I guess it must just be the early 4 speed boxes are different.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2001 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: shortened shifters Reply with quote

or a angle grinder
GEMGEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: shortened shifters Reply with quote

To shorten a knob I guess as proper as passible I usually take the stick out cut just below the thread then cut say 50mm or what ever desired clean up the ends and weld the thread section to the shorter stick, that way you dont have a gear knob that keeps falling off ohhh and when u do the chopping and welding try to do it so that the welds are just below the boot thingy!! Much Better gear changing!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: