HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

rear wheel arches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TravTC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2001 1:32 pm    Post subject: rear wheel arches Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I talked to a few of you before about my wheels. I got some 205x60x13 tyres on 13x5.5 alloys (OLD SKOOL!!), and they fill up the rear arches with stock springs. They used to scrape the inside of the arches. After some advice, I belted out the lip that points in towards the car from the arches edge. I did that and now with one person in the back and some reasonable cornering it rubs on the inside of the actual arch (the bit with all the caked grey dirt on the inside).

Is there such thing as a spring damper? Like a FAT washer that stops excess spring travel? Should i put one of those in?? I dont wanna spend more on the car (ie 200 on springs or something [how much would that be for standard pedders?])

Thanks boyz
Trav
FrAsErTaG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2001 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: rear wheel arches Reply with quote

What model gemini?
I have 205x60x13 on 13x6 Centreline globes and they dont scrub they fit heaps nicely and Im running stock suspension (to be changed fairly soon)
Smile
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2001 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: rear wheel arches Reply with quote

They shouldn't scrape with stock suspension, unless the off set makes them hang way out, and you hit a big bump, or if your springs are old and saggy, or have been cut.

The only think called a spring damper is a shock absorber. You should get some new springs, around $120 from various places. Or, you could look at getting the inside of your wheels machined so they sit further in the wheel arch, but 5.5" wheels with 205's should never scrub unless sitting real low, so I would be looking at the springs first. Even a set from a wreckers (about $30) should sit higher.
TravTC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2001 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: rear wheel arches Reply with quote

Thank you gents
They do stick out quite a bit, but its not ridiculously exposed.

Would that be about $120 for a rear set? Thats not much. Only take me an hour or 2 (I dont work at pedders Smile.

Im gonna be working alot over the summer so maybe ill get a new set of springs, fix some of that LAND ROVER DISCOVERY handling.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2001 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: rear wheel arches Reply with quote

I think whiteline select springs are $120 a pair.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: