HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

turbo and carby

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rotorgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 9:36 pm    Post subject: turbo and carby Reply with quote

I was thinking of the carby that came on the xf falcon will this do the job and i might change the float in the carby to keep the fuel in there, what turbo size do you recomend lastly ontop of the carby is there a plenim chamber needed to collect air, or straight piping into the top of the carby is best
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo and carby Reply with quote

XF carby would work quite well actually, as you could jet the secondary circuit rich without touching the primary circuit.

Float will find for low boost applications, I am using a brass float at up to 22psi and it has not worried it.

Turbo size depends on power wanted. If you want a lot of power and not really concerend about spool up time, then install the biggest compressor you can find. Turbine should be selected with engine size in mind.

I use an air box, sometimes called a bonnet. The plenum chamber is the volume in the manifold that is after the throttle, but before the intake runners. You will find it very difficult to make any sor of stright piping into the top of the carb. This is why aI use an airbox.

Ben Wight
rotorgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: turbo and carby Reply with quote

thank you for all your help just one last time for me the slow one the air box sits on top of the carby just a box or can it be any shape and the pipeing from the turbo goes across the motor into the box
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: turbo and carby Reply with quote

Thats right, the air box is attached to the top of the carby, the turbo pressurises the airbox which feeds the engine. So without an intercooler in the system, you would simply need a pipe going from the compressor outlet over the rocker cover to the airbox.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: