HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

brakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2001 12:12 am    Post subject: brakes Reply with quote

i was just wondering is every ones brake pedal is spongy and if not how do i go about fixing it
i've bleed the brakes got new pads for the front
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2001 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: brakes Reply with quote

i have the same prob but i put utlimatesor bendix pads upfront and that stopped it
but now im having probs with there rear brakes and i think they are dragging
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2001 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes Reply with quote

I've never driven a gemini whose (stock) brakes I liked, bled 'em, fitted better pads/shoes, replaced the slave cylinders in the drums, gotten the calipers recoed, had the master cylinder and boosted rekitted... still don't like the feel... Some are quite ok and others are terrible, but I don't 'like' any of them...

When my budget allows (they are about $2.5K down my list of planned purchases) I want to fit R31 GTS front disks... 274mm by 22mm ventilated disks... same centre hole and offset as a gemini and also a smidge bigger than the other brake swap floating around... Ideally I'd like to use S4 RX7 turbo calipers... but I haven't really looked into it yet.

I am also looking at a disk brake rear end, but it wouldn't be fair to say what from as the person who told the person who told me what it was from swore that person to secrecy for financial reasons...
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2001 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes Reply with quote

i have just ordered a brake kit from CRS in vic
hopefully be here next week
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2001 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes Reply with quote

Well details!!! photos when it arrives.. the last time I checked the CRS site they didn't offer one... loading it again now..
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2001 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes Reply with quote

Ok, so I assume it is the "DB 13 Ford vent discs to Holden/Isuzu Gemini"? What disks, what diameter, what thickness, what calipers...
Nick
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2001 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes Reply with quote

what price...
GEMGEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: brakes Reply with quote

HI David!!
I see ur upgrading the brakes on ur gem, Im looking in to the best brake upgrade my self, Im in Melbourne. What does the kit you have found consist of? Is this kit from The Castlemane Rod Shop and how much is he???
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: brakes Reply with quote

the disc are from a falcon and the calipers that are needed are from a hq. The price is $250 when i have the kit i will do a workshop.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: brakes Reply with quote

yes the kit is rom Castlemaine rod shop
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes Reply with quote

I called CRS about 2 weeks ago and inquired about brake upgrades. Rod recommended the same kit.
What I would like to know is what stud pattern do you end up with? Does this kit go for all 4 wheels or just the fronts?

I will wait for your workshop Smile
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes Reply with quote

fro what i understand the stud pattern remains the same your justing bolting on the disc not the hub
GEMGEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes Reply with quote

I rang Rod last week all excited for a simple brake upgrade, to find that one u got to get ur own bits which I had already found, 140 for discs and calipers bout 80pair, which I thought great cheaper than the volvo conversion, but one thing Rod does not specify is that ur wheels are no good so u will have to run ford wheels up front and Gemini wheels up back so how is that professional!! He was happy to say buy my kit all the instructions are there for $150 is that what u were quoted!! Buy the time you get everything and wheels and tyres the kit i dont think will have as much clamping force as a volvo 4spot caliper. Keep in touch I hope it all works out for you!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: