HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Vehicle regs in VIC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2001 4:00 pm    Post subject: Vehicle regs in VIC Reply with quote

I have been scouting around for information regarding the legal modifications allowable to vehicles in Victoria. If anyone else has a link to a more readable document let us know. The most comprehensive I have found (if you can decipher legalese Wink is at the link below:

http://www.dms.dpc.vic.gov.au/sb/1999_SR/S00918.html

I am a tad peeved, wanting to be a law abiding person and have big wheels yet be completely legal just in case something goes wrong. I want 15" wheels, which by law you can't have.

Should I be naughty and risk that my insurance company won't pay up if I am involved in an accident and they find out I have an illegal set of wheels?

Should I take it up the coit and run 14s?? Hmmm, I don't like the idea this, BUT I don't like the idea of having to fork out major $$ if I happen to seriously hurt someone, or cause the $20M damage that insurance companies will cover you for...

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated, I want big wheels and lotsa modifications Smile
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2001 6:43 pm    Post subject: Amendment Reply with quote

After some serious scouring of the site, I found another, much more relevant article:

Road Safety (Vehicles) (Vehicle Standards) Regulations 1999
http://www.dms.dpc.vic.gov.au/sb/1999_SR/S00944.html

There may be an amendment to this statute, I haven't found it yet.

My favourite question so far?
8. What is a road?

Hmmmm, explanation of a 'road' in legalise, interesting...
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2001 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Amendment Reply with quote

G'day
I've just been looking at similar questions cos my car is almost on the rd. Unfortunately, I'm in Qld, but did you give vic transport a ring? Qld transpt has a little booklet on allowed modifications and they posted it out. Might not be relevant, but up here the only limit diameter-wise on large rim - low profile is the overall diameter
must not vary more than +15mm or -26mm from original
Cheers
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2001 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Amendment Reply with quote

I didn't get a chance to call vicroads today, I will tomorrow. After sifting through all the crap I couldn't find anything about wheel diameters. As you say, any size goes as long as the aspect ratio is right and the overall diameter isn't quirky, hopefully VIC will be the same. Will check it out.

Maybe it was the insurance company that wouldn't look after it if it had non std +1" wheels. AAMI class those as mag wheels and therefore demand a higher level of insurance, or won't insure it at all Sad

Thanx Smile
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2001 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Amendment Reply with quote

And then there's the definition of 'Left', 'Right' and 'Driver'. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: